Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Virgin Media

I DONT have the Hotspot Browser on my phone . I think i need to add Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser & Transport Service Books?

HI Guys,

New to blackberry and it's been a steep learning curve.

I have a 8520 (Provider Unlocked) , my problem is that whilst i can browse using my data plan , and i can connect to my home router by wifi ,i CANT browse at home using my faster internet connection as i dont have the HOT SPOT browser avalible on this handset.

I belive i need to add the service book entries

Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser (Browser Config)

Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport (WPTCP)

along with the BB Internet browser.

I have read a lot of threads where people can ONLY surf using wifi , but not GSM . but i am in the opposite situation i need to add Wi-Fi browsing to my handset.

I have contacted Virgin , who are next to useless , and they say its a fault with the unit , which it isn't of course.

I've managed to restore a ipd to give me the browser options , so i can configure APN settings when my data plan runs out and use a GSM data sim , but i am still at a loss as to how i go about adding the home wifi components.

I have been searching the net for an ipd file to to this but so far have had no luck.

Any help would be awesome as it's driving me nuts.

Many Thanks.

Alex :-)

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: I DONT have the Hotspot Browser on my phone . I think i need to add Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser & Transport Service Books?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

ALL of your services are enabled by and delivered from your mobile service provider (Virgin) network. Your device indeed needs the proper HRT and Service Book entries on it in order for services, even those via WiFi, to function correctly. But, you cannot (simply, that is) "force" these onto your device...they must be delivered to your device from your carriers network. Note carefully please that no mobile network natively supports ALL BB models on their network...rather, they only support a subset of BB models for the automatic delivery of HRT and Service Book entries. If your device is not one of those supported natively by your carriers network, then that will completely explain why their network is not delivering these to your device, and it therefore is not functioning as fully as you desire. But, only they can answer that compatibility question...even if so far they have been useless, it is their network and they control it.

If your device is fully compatible with their network for automatic HRT and Service Book delivery, then with a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you will need to continue to pursue formal support from your carrier. Be sure to escalate with them beyond their first level support, and even insist on formal escalation up to BB if they cannot resolve it (assuming, again, that your device is fully compatible with their network).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................