Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

I Hate To Say It: The Blackberry Storm is as Fun as Winter in Duluth, Minnesota

[ Edited ]

I was so excited to get this phone, especially considering I was upgrading from an 8703, which didn't even have a camera.

I've had the Storm for a week, and bells and whistles aside, I feel let down, sort of like a guy who was lucky enough to land a date with a super hot chick only to find out she does meth and has five kids and a warrant.

Top 10 Functionality Issues:

1) It is huge. Perhaps this is to be expected, but the iPhone seems substantially smaller. I feel like I'm carting around a labtop. Add a protective case and it feels like a desktop.

2) Keypad Delay: There seems to be a one second delay anytime I click an icon/make a selection on the keypad (i.e. selecting "Contacts" for example).

3) Keypad Ghosting: This is when you swear you click an icon/make a selection on the keypad, only nothing happens, so you're forced to click again.

4) Delayed Portrait Change - Very cool that you can go from portrait to landscape view, especially when you're browsing photos, BUT there's a delay (not on the phone in the commercial though). Sometimes it lasts several seconds, or doesn't switch at all.

5) No Automaic Scroll on Portrait View on Home - Why do I have to click on the red space containing the "V" above the first two rows of icons on the home screen before being able to scroll down to other icons?

6) Poor Volume - Even at max volume, I can sometimes barely hear the other party; talking on the Storm in my Trailblazer is a maddening exercise in futility.

7) (DON'T!) Show Keyboard - When I make a selection that could call for use of the keyboard, but doesn't necessitate it, sometimes the keyboard just miraculously appears, more often than not when I am trying to scroll. So then, I have to select "Menu" and choose "Hide Keyboard."

8) Lost Call Log - I used to be able to click once on "Messages" to view inbound calls received/outbound calls made. Now, I have to click the green phone icon, and then choose "Call Log."

9) Clunky Internet Browswer - Let's say I want to search for "Hot Chicks on Meth." Should be easy. I would choose "Browser" from the home page, then click on the "Search Here" text field, type in that phrase, then click Google, right? Wrong, Clicking "Google" brings up a drop down menu that allows you to choose "Google," "Wikipedia" or "Dictionary.com." Ok, so I did want Google, so I'll choose that. Then what? That didn't inititate a search, so how do I do that? Maybe clicking the "Enter Arrow" will do that. Nope.

Oh wait, but it does. Let me explain. After selecting "Google," you first have to go back and put the cursor in the text field, and THEN click "Enter Arrow."

10)  Text-Mex - In other words, really **bleep**ty knockoff of authentic texting. I'm paraphrasing, but Einstein said that doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result in the definition of insanity.

I am insane.

I keep expecting texting to get easier, but as my mispelled words pile up faster than dirty laundry, I am slowly accepting the fact that texting just plain sucks in the Storm. I missed the good old days in my 8703 when I typed "OK, sounds good, let's talk then,": instead of "OJ, szoubds gop, let!s cake men."

This what happens when the keyboard is in landscape mode. Even meticulous typing leaves words mispelled because the hover ends up on the wrong letter despite the fact that you made a conscious effeort to hover over the right one.

In portrait mode, I can select from "Suretype" or Multitap," which is little like choosing between getting kicked in the face or the balls.

Message Edited by ironpants on 12-03-2008 01:47 AM
Message Edited by ironpants on 12-03-2008 01:47 AM
Message Edited by ironpants on 12-03-2008 01:49 AM
New Contributor
My Device: Bold

Re: I Hate To Say It: The Blackberry Storm is as Fun as Winter in Duluth, Minnesota

ironpants

I read up on this as well, basically all the issues you are facing allot of others are too, looks like they are going to push a new OS out shortly, possibly upgrading will help a few issues, but the keyboard issue..... ghost keyboards are not BB to me Smiley Tongue I want a key not a ghost popping up when I dont want it ya know hehe.

Good luck and if you ever get too tired of it, try switching to a Bold, smaller lighter and real keyboard Smiley Tongue

SCCP or SIP clients for BB info. always wanted - Cheers

Re: I Hate To Say It: The Blackberry Storm is as Fun as Winter in Duluth, Minnesota

I am there with you brother.  Many a times, I have considered throwing the phone out the window.

I have experienced all that you have listed and a couple more.  Here is my add in.

1) Speed Dial is not working properly.   Every so often it will dial the wrong speed dial.  I first thought it was me pressing the wrong number but it wasn't the case.

2) Enterprise email just stops working.   I had to restart the BB so it would work again.

3) "Suretype" or "Multitap."  If I select Multitap as an option, I wish it would stay that way.  I keeps switching to SureType then I have to manually switch Multitap again.  This is driving me insane.

Ahhh.  BB.  Update the OS.

YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!

What in the world happened with this phone????  The Hype, the anticipation, fighting in lines to find they are sold out, then ordering to wait a week to get it and BOOM ..... major disappointment.  Here are my complaints of which many are exactly what the first author wrote:

ok first I am in my mid 30's yet computer/phone/ipod savvy in other words "with it"  I love phones and often crave the next "new" thing.  I changed from a BB pearl (pink)  and HATE the BB storm.  This phone is a joke, but yet I can't  get the nerve to return it, I keep hoping it will somehow prove to be what it promised. 

Texting:   ok i text pretty fast for my age, but this phone won't let you..  tons of misspelled words! and then when you TRY to correct it, yet another misspelled word!!   I could type a text message with 160 characters (or whatever the limit is for sms msgs)  in about 20  to 30 seconds....  with this BB storm  it takes me 3 mins to type 1 sentence!!!!!!!!!!  (ok alittle exaggerated- but not by much) 

Internet & Internet Browsing:   Forget it.. honestly you have a better chance of winning the lottery 10x in your lifetime then getting anywhere on the internet on this thing!!  you type the the destination (web address)   Ok you finally get there, but then typing in your Login info and then making it go there..... IMPOSSIBLE!

Answering the phone while in Lock mode:  I lock my BB  to keep from phantom calling ppl,  but when an incoming call comes through and I hit "answer" on the screen it won't and then when I hit the actual call button to answer it still won't... therefore all my inbound callers go to voicemail!

Taking Pictures:  Got all day for this one?  Well if you don't you need to.  When you go to take a picture make sure your subject is willing to hold a pose and smile for a min of 2 mins.  You aim then click (it focuses) then after it does this,  it delays oh 30 secs or so and then FINALLY snaps the pic.. several times everyone in the photo moved because they thought the pic was over a long time ago!!! 

There is so much more I could complain about.  Fortunately, I did pay upgrade price of $199.99 for this phone and not full price!  And I truly feel sorry for those who did.  I keep holding onto it in hope that either I will "figure it out"  or BB will come up with a software patch or solution for this phone.

New Contributor

i have lots of fun in Duluth in the winter.  skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling... and lots more to do.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels the same way about the Storm!  For me it feels like a step backwards, I felt more productive when I was had my old Palm Treo 700wx.   The only good thing I found was that I could IM my fellow co-workers that also had a Blackberry phone.
Visitor

I've had the phone for all of 36 hours and am already frustrated as hell.  I've experienced nearly every one of the problems you mentioned.  On top of that, the enterprise email and browser stopped working last night so this morning the tech said I to take out the battery to get it working again (which it did). When I make calls it switches to Speaker mode every time my cheeks touches the screen. The keyboards are a mess, the menus are anything but intuitive, I can't easily access my Contacts, and I have to hold the red phone icon no less than 5 seconds to turn it off.

If it keeps up this way I'm returning the Storm during the 30 day grace period and switching to the Curve.

Contributor

I am not sure I can wait 30 days to decide if I want this phone.

I like the "bleeding edge" technology and am very patient with it comes to new devices, but this is not fun.  

If things are not improved soon, there will be a ton of returned Storms around 12/20.   This forum will be a ghost town.

Has anyone played with a LG Dare, that was my 2nd choice of phones before getting this one?

Also, what kind of fee is Verizon going to stick us with when we return the Storm?  What happens to the contract, restock fees, any insurance that we took out on the phone, the Navigator monthly fee, the Visual Voice Mail monthly fee?  Knowing Verizon, it will cost us $100 to return it.

Contributor
My Device: Storm - 1st Gen

I am with you jwester.  Tell you what, the next time you get to do some of those things, send some pics, take some video, send tweets to Twitter (and pics to TwitPic) and update Facebook all from your Storm.  Don't forget to turn on the geo-tagging when you take pics and do send me your location... It'll pobably take all of ten minutes!

Not bad for such a useless device... ;-)

Best,

T

i rturned that thing 24 hours from the moment i got it !!!! it is a toy for kids and only for stupid kids !!!!!!! verizon let us down as usual !!