Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Forums Advisor III
My Device: STORM 9530 on VERIZON 552 kbps
Accepted Solution

I NOTICED THIS TODAY, ANYONE ELSE??????....

So, I have had my storm for 4 weeks now, and today when i was typing a message, I noticed that the screen clicks feel and sound has changed.

I feels a little weaker, and doesnt make a clicking sound anymore.

Any feedback on this one???

If I or another member have helped, be sure to click the KUDOS!!!

If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!

4.7.0.122,SLACKER, FaceDial,Poynt, Myspace, Weather Midlet, You Tube, Tiltris, logMaid, Youmail

http://www.rimblackberrystorm.webs.com

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Storm

Re: I NOTICED THIS TODAY, ANYONE ELSE??????....

Jeff,

I'm getting the same feeling.  I suspect the "button" under the screen is getting a little "worn".

I hope this isn't indicative of a failure mode, or premature wear, or even worse that the life of this device is going to be severly limited.   But the "click" is significantly more "subtle" on mine than it was at first...

blah blah blah, "Kudos", etc, etc. 

Forums Advisor III

Yea, I think im going to call vzw tomorrow, not so much to complain, but to maybe bring attention to it.

The phone is still working good, i guess im just thinking of the long haul (my 2 year contract).

Last time i spoke to vzw, they said that the phone had a 1 year manufacture warranty, but wouldnt go into great detail about whats really covered.

Ill repost here tomorrow after i speak with them.

If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!

4.7.0.122,SLACKER, FaceDial,Poynt, Myspace, Weather Midlet, You Tube, Tiltris, logMaid, Youmail

Trusted Contributor

Please do,

If we're about to see a premature wear issue, there's going to be a lot more swap outs than just the expected flurry on 15 January... 

Highlighted
Forums Advisor III

OK, just got off the phone with bb tech at VZW.

The tech said that what I am experiencing is normal and the screen is "breaking in".

This makes sense to me since the phone still works properly and the screen still does click, though its not as firm as it was when it was new.

We also discussed the 1yr manufacture warranty.  He says that if anything happens to the phone that is not caused by me (i.e. water, dropping etc...) a replacement handset will be issued.  If after the 1yr warranty there is a manufacture defect, I have 2 options:

1.  If the failure is determined to be a manufacture defect, vzw will issue a replacement handset with a $50 deductible.  This is a better option as the replacement handset will come with a 90day warranty.

2.  If the failure is determined not to ba a manufacture defect, file a claim with the insurance company.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Now on my third Storm. The second, and now the third one have been "breaking in" by having the call button come loose.

The first Storm was literally "broken" because the screen was completely loose upon delivery. Absolutely ridiculous!!!!

2 phones with two loose call buttons? I'm pretty much done with this phone now.

How did you get a hold of RIM, Jeff? 

Contributor

Hi, interesting (and worrisome) to see your post.  I've actually already made arrangements to exchange the Storm I've had for 6 days.  Out of the box, the left side of the screen didn't really click at all and seemed already "depressed" (no pun intended).  It worked but there was no tactile action & no click.  So I concluded that it wasn't right.  Different issue from someone who's used for a month vs out of the box, but perhaps another indication of failure potential.
Regular Contributor

That's the thing for me. Software/firmware can be upgraded. Crappy build quality?

How many times will I have to trade in this model phone when it goes physically defective on me?

It's 3-out-of-3 for me with the Storm. That's TERRIBLE! I've never had a physically defective cell phone, and I've been using cell phones since 1992. This is my third physically defective Storm within a month!!!!!! 

Forums Advisor III

trying to contact rim is useless unless you pay for tech support.

If you read my post you will see that i called vzw not rim.

Like i said, my phone functions fine, it just that the screen button (not the other buttons) is not as firm and clicky as it was when i got it.

Trusted Contributor

My screen "clicks" were getting harder and harder (had to press more firmly).   I got hold of a co-worker's Storm yesterday and it had a totally different, and very nice, feel.  Today, I grabbed a T6 screwdriver and backed out the two "keyboard" screws (had to temporarily pull the "wet tell" sticker) 1.5 turns.  

WOW what a difference in the feel.  I may experiment with changing it a bit more, but for now, it's really MUCH nicer than it was - even in the beginning.  I think the left side clicks easier than the right, so I may try 1/2 turn more on the right, but this is MUCH nicer.

I hope this helps someone else, if it does, Please click "Kudos" in this post.

Thanks!

RR