Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry storm 9530
Accepted Solution

I Need Help: Uncaught Exception java.lang.nullpointerexception

I am not sure how to make a post but I have a really huge problem and I feel absolutely dumb to this wonderful gadget.

So I bought a Blackberry Storm from a friend and have been using the phone since. I have three problems thus far Smiley Sad:

1. The phone times out when I select certain features eg when I try to lock the phone the little clock comes up and still the phone doesnt lock or when I try to open a menu like media the clock comes up and then disappears and the media folder does not open

2. There is a delay when I turn the phone horizontally/ vertically. The menu takes long to adjust to how I am looking at the phone. You know that filp screen thing.

3. Everytime I select the Blackberry Icon or even select the browser I get this error message:

Uncaught Exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException

Help please anyone?

Lucille Hayles
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: I Need Help: Uncaught Exception java.lang.nullpointerexception

Hi there, hopefully we can help you out.

First off, just as a heads up, I've requested that the moderators delete your other message as they are both the same.

Now then, to deal with your problem at hand, can you please provide the following information:

• What is the operating system version installed on your phone?  You can find this information by going to Options > About and it's the number listed after the v (e.g. v. 4.7.0.148).
  • Who is your carrier?  e.g. Verizon, Telus, Vodafone UK, etc.

The good news is that your first two errors should be resolved by doing a simple battery pull (while the phone is on, open the back of the phone and remove the battery, wait 15-30 seconds, reinsert, and wait for the phone to reboot (approx. 2-5 minutes)).  Depending on the information you provide based on my request above, we may be able to help improve things even further.

The last issue may also be helped by a battery pull, or that may require more drastic steps.  Depending on your operating system version, we may get you to upgrade or reload the operating system to resolve this problem, but start with the battery pull and let us know if that helps with this issue as well.

Do as I've suggested here and keep us posted.  We can go from here to the next step(s) if required.  Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

LOL. Thanks much!!

Thanks for the instructions it allowed me to find everything quicker. The OS is v5.0.0.140

My carrier is Digicel. I am not located in the states but in Jamaica. I am not certain if this is much of a help.

So I did the battery pull and went through my menus and it seemed to flow well. Should I practise this regularly if I find myself with time-out or delays?

I doulble checked the Blackberry icon and it gave different message than when I check out the browser icon.

the browser icon still gave the same "Uncaught Exception java.lang.nullpointerexception" error but the blackberry icon gave the following:

Error starting net_rim_bb_appworld class

net.rim.device.internal.ui.image not found

I appreciate the help

Lucille Hayles
Elite I

Ok, that helps a lot.  This OS version is a beta version with known problems, so it's up to you whether you'd like to stay with that, or if you'd like a more stable OS, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

As to the battery pull, yeah, it can be a good idea to do a battery pull every so often.  With the newer versions of the OSes, you don't need to do battery pulls nearly as often, but if the phone starts to slow down or act up, it's a good idea (remember, it's also usually a good idea to reboot your computer every so often - same sort of idea here).

The second error you are getting is to do with BlackBerry AppWorld.  You can delete and reinstall BlackBerry AppWorld if you like and that will get rid of one of the errors, but the other error (the browser error) may be a little more tricky.  If the battery pull doesn't help, the only solution may be to reinstall the OS, but because of the version, I'd recommend either an upgrade or a downgrade.  You mention that your carrier is Digicel, so I'm guessing you have a 9500 Storm rather than the 9530.  If you'd like to confirm this for me, I can give you a couple of recommendations.  This information should also be available under Options > About and is listed in the first line.

So, just give me that one last bit of info, as well as whether you'd like a more stable OS version, and I can point you in the right direction.

I hope all of this is helping you out!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Well I would rather prefer a more stable version. My carrier had recommended a downgrade to v4.0.0.75 (please don't quote me on that, as I am not sure of the numbers but it's something to that sort Smiley Happy) They said this is a more compatible version for their system as I had wanted to have internet services on my phone. Now I feel as if I am stuckSmiley Sad

I will definately keep the battery pull in mind whenever I get it acting up again.

Is deleting the BB AppWorld a safe procedure? I don't mind getting started with that. We can tackle the problems one at a time.

Also will reinstalling the OS affect the BB Appworld or would that be separate programming?

The Storm I have is a 9530 so maybe we could move from there.

Thanks again for the info. I am beginning to feel much better.

Lucille Hayles
Elite I

Perfect, now based on your comments, I'm going to make the following suggestion.

Downgrade your phone.  If you want something stable, I'd go with 4.7.0.151.  It's not quite as fast as the version currently on your phone (still pretty quick though), but it's way more stable and has very few issues (the issues are usually around themes - not all themes work well with .151, but most do).

You can find the link to download 4.7.0.151 here:  http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/196496-latest-os-9530-4-7-0-208...

Just read through the post and you'll find the link and the instructions on how to install.  Don't forget to backup your phone's data first using BlackBerry Desktop Manager, just to be safe.

Now then, if you'd like to get rid of BlackBerry AppWorld, this is quite easy to do.  Just highlight the icon, then press the BB Menu button and select Delete from the menu.  Alternately, you can also do the same by going to Options > Applications, find the application, and then press the BB Menu button and select Delete.

If you have any problems or questions, just let me know and I'll help out.  Smiley Happy

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Krypto,

I will go ahead and delete the BB Apps world first but how do I get it back?

Will that come with the downgrade?

I wont be able to complete the downgrade until weekend. So first thing on Monday I will let you know how that went.

Thanks for the heads up on the Blackberry desktop manager. On that note I didn't get all the cd's or booklets that came with the phone, so my next question is how can I get the blackberry desktop manager?

Message Edited by lhayles on 10-01-2009 04:10 PM
Lucille Hayles
Elite I

To get back App World (if you decide you want it), you can simply download it.  Once you have the browser on your phone up and running, you can open the browser and go to the BlackBerry homepage (it's one of the bookmarks) and download it from there.  Alternately, you can find more info on how to install App World here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/appworld/download.jsp

As a heads up, App World is great for convenience, but it is not required (I don't have it running on my phone).  So even if you aren't able to download and use App World, it's not a big deal.

As to BlackBerry Desktop Manager, try going to this link: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/ 

It's available as a free download (click the Download button, then on the next page, select BlackBerry Desktop Manager 5.0 from the drop down menu) and you can choose to install it with or without the media manager.  If you want a more streamlined download, download the version without the media manager. 

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread over the weekend, so post here if you have any problems.  Otherwise, I'll be looking forward to your confirmation that everything went well.  Smiley Happy

New Contributor

So all is well and I am feeling extremely happy.

As mention I deleted the Apps World and I didnt bother to reinstall it since its really not important at this time maybe when the need arises I wil.

And for the downgrade, the version you had recommended did not allow me to proceed with, it was giving an error saying its not an upgrade but a downgrade. I got some help with that and I was able to get V4.7.0.148 instead of 4.7.0.151. Not sure why..lol.

But I was thankful that everything worked well after the modification. I must say that everything flows a bit smoother too.

Thanks again for your guidance. Much appreciated. 

Lucille Hayles
Elite I

Great, I'm glad to hear things are up and running.  Smiley Happy