Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

I am completely lost with this new BBM "for everything else too!" (using BB9900)

Okay I'm sorry for the confusion on my part.

It really seems like this whole "everyone with an iPhone can now use BBM" craze came out of absolutely nowhere.

Can someone help with this scenario:

I'm using BB990, the REGULAR messaging service, NOT BBM. My friend, Rob, is using an iPhone, but decides he want's BBM on his iPhone. He neglects to tell me, whatever, and starts using it. I don't have his pin - OH DEAR - what does this mean for me?

Is texting effected? I just don't understand. If I don't switch over and everyone else does can they not message me anymore?

Help....please?

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: I am completely lost with this new BBM "for everything else too!" (using BB9900)

mike90 wrote:

Can someone help with this scenario:

I'm using BB990, the REGULAR messaging service, NOT BBM. My friend, Rob, is using an iPhone, but decides he want's BBM on his iPhone. He neglects to tell me, whatever, and starts using it. I don't have his pin - OH DEAR - what does this mean for me?

Hi mike90

PIN number is the most crucial , if you want to add or invite your friend you need to know his PIN or your friend need to know your PIN number to add you as a contact on BBM . 

mike90 wrote:

Is texting effected? I just don't understand. If I don't switch over and everyone else does can they not message me anymore?

hey I don't get this part .. can you explain it .

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

Re: I am completely lost with this new BBM "for everything else too!" (using BB9900)

Okay yeah so what I meant by is "texting effected"

I'm using the regular blackberyy messagins service (I guess the default, regular one that comes with the phone?) - not BBM.

If someone, a friend, decides they want to use BBM on their iPhone, which seems like an application, would they be able to still text me from it even though I'm not using BBM?

I guess I'm wondering if it becomes their sole means of communication once they login in. Or is it like facebook, a separate application where adding someones "pin" is like adding a "friend"?lol

Sorry for the confusion.

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

mike90 wrote:

Okay yeah so what I meant by is "texting effected"

I'm using the regular blackberyy messagins service (I guess the default, regular one that comes with the phone?) - not BBM.

Hi there,

Then I assume you're referring to short message services or SMS .

mike90 wrote:

If someone, a friend, decides they want to use BBM on their iPhone, which seems like an application, would they be able to still text me from it even though I'm not using BBM?

Yes.. He will be able to text you . BBM is an Instant messaging application which is now available for android and iphone user , if you friend installed and using BBM on there devices and you don't have such data plan which allow BBM on your BlackBerry then only BBM will be affected but not other messaging services , it may be whatsapp , viber etc.

mike90 wrote:

I guess I'm wondering if it becomes their sole means of communication once they login in. 

In some way you're correct ! Your friend will surely like BBM and I have no doubt that after using BBM on there iphone BBM will be there sole mean of Instant messaging because it is the best IM in my opinion. On such situation you should 

mike90 wrote:

Or is it like facebook, a separate application where adding someones "pin" is like adding a "friend"?lol

you're correct ...BBM is an application which solely depends on PIN , each user will have there own PIN numbers and adding that PIN is of course like adding a friend on his BBM contact list.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

Okay, lol, so far so good. But can they send a message from BBM to my regular SMS? Say you're right and they like it. If they decide to text me, do I need to have it installed to get the messages or will it show up as normal on SMS?

Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Cable & Wireless (FLOW)

On your friend's phone BBM will just be another option. They will still have access to the normal texting option as well. So if your friend knows you don't have BBM, he or she can still contact you by regular SMS text.

Remember your friends can't accidentally send you the wrong type of message, because BBM would've first required you to "accept" an invitation. Since you don't have the option to accept, you wouldn't be on their list of BBM contacts, therefore they can't send BBM to you.