Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

S79
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

I bought AT&T data - now my wifi will not work, though the bb shows it is connected.

I was using wifi only (at home) for a while, and now I decided to buy some data.  As soon as I did that my bb will not browse the web on wifi.  I have limited data, so I turned it off while at home.  The bb says I am connected to my wifi, but the browser will not load a page, I just get the error message to contact my provider.  So I called AT&T, they were not helpful at all.  She kept telling me what won't work on wifi - I don't use the messenger or the other things so I don't care.  She told me I can only use the medianet browser on wifi.  I do not understand that.  As far as I can tell medianet is just a website.....

Please help.  I really need my wifi to work without using all my data, what's the point of wifi if it uses data?  Is it only AT&T having this issue? 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: I bought AT&T data - now my wifi will not work, though the bb shows it is connected.

Hiya!
Just to start, AT&T cannot block your WiFi, no carrier can really. Its something in the device itself that you can use without even having a SIM card present.

I Do have a couple questions to begin however. First, Do you have an email setup on the device? Second, do you see the little "blackberry cluster" icon at the top right near the bars?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: torch 8900
My Carrier: att

Re: I bought AT&T data - now my wifi will not work, though the bb shows it is connected.

I have been having the same problem.  Only that my wifi shows its working at home but doesnt.  I found out it has to do with you router your using.  Try going out to a hotspot to see if your bb works there on wifi.  Mine does.  So it has to be my router that my bb doesnt like.  Have to find the anwer to this question of mine.  good luck

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Sandy, I just responded in the separate thread you started for this issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
S79
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

I do not use the bb email, I have to use the web based gmail. I don't think I have ever had the bb icon up there.