10-24-2008 05:10 AM
Since I didn't get a reply to my last post I did some further testing and it turned out that the backup process was definitely failing when it tried to back up the Profiles database. The way I determined this was by selecting "Advanced" from the Desktop 4.5 "Backup and Restore" screen. Then I individually selected the Profiles database and hit "backup" Sure enough I could make the backup fail every time.
Next I hit "clear" and apparently this deleted the Profiles database because then I could run a successful backup. I'm guessing the Profiles database is rebuilt automatically as needed. At least it seems so because I can still send and receive email and I believe this is what the Profiles database is used for.
So anyway, the backup problem is now solved, but sadly, I still have my original problem: I'm running 4.5 Desktop but my device will not upgrade to match it like it is supposed to do.
In other words, my Curve 8300 is still running version 188.8.131.52 and will not upgrade to version 2.5 to match the desktop software.
Can anybody out there help me on this???
10-24-2008 09:48 AM
10-24-2008 03:40 PM
It turns out that the upgrade process has a automatic backup embedded and this was previously failing due to the bad profile. That's why I couldn't upgrade! So I reran the upgrade process again now that the profile has been cleared the embedded backup ran successfully… and after about 120 anxious minutes... szham! the upgrade worked and I now have firmware 2.7 on my BB.
There were some subsequent issues with the network being turned off (perhaps due to the source of the install program) but I ran the diagnostics program twice. The first time it failed to find AT&T but the 2nd time it worked fine. This happened twice actually as the Curve was rebooted during the process. But both times the diagnostic workaround was successful. Oddly too, I had another Profiles error, identical to previous, but was able to clear as done prviously. Also, I had a "Uncaught data exception" error message on the Curve main screen after each reboot but this was obviously not significant as I "OK'ed" around it and all is well.
After the upgrade finally completed (as I say, it was a long time but fairness I do have a lot of applications installed) Docs-To-Go Standard Edition wasn't installed. But I checked the Advanced Applications Load in the PC Desktop app, found it and it then installed properly without a hitch.
Then I was able to upgrade successfully to Premium Edition. Again without a hitch.
So NOW I'm DONE. A ton of cycles spend here but I have what I need. 15 months was a long wait but I think it was worth it.