Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: I have AT&T & Curve 8300 running BIS - Can I upgrade…

Since I didn't get a reply to my last post I did some further testing and it turned out that the backup process was definitely failing when it tried to back up the Profiles database.   The way I determined this was by selecting "Advanced" from the Desktop 4.5 "Backup and Restore" screen.  Then I individually selected the Profiles database and hit "backup"  Sure enough I could make the backup fail every time.

Next I hit "clear" and apparently this deleted the Profiles database because then I could run a successful backup.  I'm guessing the Profiles database is rebuilt automatically as needed.  At least it seems so because I can still send and receive email and I believe this is what the Profiles database is used for.

So anyway, the backup problem is now solved, but sadly, I still have my original problem:  I'm running 4.5 Desktop but my device will not upgrade to match it like it is supposed to do. 

In other words, my Curve 8300 is still running version 2.4.0.73 and will not upgrade to version 2.5 to match the desktop software.

Can anybody out there help me on this???

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

you have two questions in your message.

first :
the Profiles is the way you are notified when something happens : the ringtone when you receive a phone call of an SMS or an email and so on.
you can access the profiles with :
Home screen >> profiles
there are several profiles : Loud, Silent, Mute, Vibrate, Phone only etc (YMMV)
there is a preset of such profiles, I think you have modified one of the profiles, or created one, and there was a problem with it.

As you have noticed, it's no big deal once you have erased the previous set of profiles.

second : you want to know how yo upgrade the OS. Your version is not the one in parenthesis, it's the one before. like 4.2.2 or 4.3 or 4.5. Please read :
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&thread.id=6807&jump=true

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

It turns out that the upgrade process has a automatic backup embedded and this was previously failing due to the bad profile.   That's why I couldn't upgrade!  So I reran the upgrade process again now that the profile has been cleared the embedded backup ran successfully… and after about 120 anxious minutes... szham!  the upgrade worked and I now have firmware 2.7 on my BB.

There were some subsequent issues with the network being turned off (perhaps due to the source of the install program) but I ran the diagnostics program twice.  The first time it failed to find AT&T but the 2nd time it worked fine.  This happened twice actually as the Curve was rebooted during the process.  But both times the diagnostic workaround was successful.  Oddly too, I had another Profiles error, identical to previous, but was able to clear as done prviously.  Also, I had a "Uncaught data exception" error message on the Curve main screen after each reboot but this was obviously not significant as I "OK'ed" around it and all is well.

After the upgrade finally completed (as I say, it was a long time but fairness I do have a lot of applications installed) Docs-To-Go Standard Edition wasn't installed.  But I checked the Advanced Applications Load in the PC Desktop app, found it and it then installed properly without a hitch. 

Then I was able to upgrade successfully to  Premium Edition.  Again without a hitch.

So NOW I'm DONE.  A ton of cycles spend here but I have what I need.  15 months was a long wait but I think it was worth it.