Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I have uncaught exception java lang index out of bounds exception when I click text message icon and it wont open

[ Edited ]

anyone know how to fix?

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: I have uncaught exception java lang index out of bounds exception when I click text message icon and it wont open

The first medicine - do battery pull.

When device is ON remove the battery, wait a minute and turn the battery back.

Wait until the device starts and check again.

It should help.

Check this and post here how it is going.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: I have uncaught exception java lang index out of bounds exception when I click text message icon and it wont open

tried pulling battery twice now and it has no affect.  The same error message pops up when clicking on the sms icon and text messages cant be accessed

Developer

It is an RIM OS messaging application error.

It can be fixed via the following steps.

1. Make selective backup of your device data via BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Backup only data you need. Save the backup file in the safe and secure place. If you have important files stored in internal memory (not in external memory SD Card transfer them to the SD Card).

2. Wipe the device memory. Go to Options - Security Options - General Settings, hit the menu and select "Wipe handheld", after that type blackberry to proceed.

3. Restore data saved on step 1 back to the device.

If the error persists it means that there is broken database (data block) from the device saved along with backup data. It may be "Messages" database or another. To investigate the source do the following.

Via BlackBerry Desktop Manager delete restored databases (data blocks) on the device and check the erroneus behaviour after every deletion.

Visitor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Vodafone

I'm tried all of them still didn't work, still the same message " uncaught exception java Lang index out of bounds exception. Anybody please help me
Highlighted
Developer

It is a strange thing.

Wipe the device and restore databases step by step.

In other words:

1. Wipe

2. Check - ok?

3. If yes - restore address book

4. Check - ok?

and so on until you find a broken database

It is a cumbersome approach, I understand.

But I have no idea how can we find the broken database when you have tried all suggested things and nothing helped.

My Device: torch
My Carrier: 111

uncaught exception java lang index out of bounds exception 
PROBLEM SOLVED....

JUST GO TO YOUR "CONTACTS"...
PIC ANY CONTACT YOU TEXT REGULARY...
HIT MENU KEY N HIT "TEXT CONTACT"...
DELETE FEW PREVIOUS CONVERSATIONS...
TADAAA.. U R DONE....  THE TEXT MESSAGE ICON WILL WORK NOW..

IT IS JUST THE SAME THING LIKE "TEXT BOX FULL" IN OTHER HANDSETS...

ITS JUZ THE BLACKBERRYS SO CALLED **bleep**ING TECHNICAL LANGUAGE IN JAVA **bleep** WHICH CONFUSES YOU N MOST OF YOU WILL END UP DELETING SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION FROM UR SMARTFONE....

SO NO SECURITY WIPE **bleep**... JUST DELETE SOME UNWANTED TEXTS... LOL

New Contributor
My Carrier: Telstra

Dude I'm having the same problem so i tried your remedy of deleting texts and it hasnt changed. Still getting same exception error. Driving me nuts! Can anyone help?
New Contributor
My Carrier: Telstra

Hi I'm having same problem as you. Did you ever manage to fix yours? I tried suggestion of deleting text but that didnt work
My Device: blackberry curve
My Carrier: sprint

absolutely works! don't bother with the others- this one works the first time and the easiest way possible