Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

I just re-activated my old Storm 9530 and have some questions

I had a Samusung Galaxy for the last year I loved it but I dislike the fact that it hates to go swimming in the pool.  So my choices were by a new phone for $$$ even know they cost cents to make or use an old phone.  I found my old Blackberry Storm 9530 in my night stand and it booted right up.  Pretty good since I have used it since 2009.

After going to Verizon and having them switch it back on and my number for free I'm ready to rock.  My questions for you all:

Do I need to update it? If so how?

How do I import my GMail contacts to it?  My old contacts are still in it but I have made a lot more friends in the last 5 years.  I don't use Gmail for email, but my old email accounts are still up.

Also I'm not real savy when it comes to these things.  When ever I need something done on my phones I find a younger family member give them the phone and in 20 minutes it's all souped up and ready to rock badder than before.  So if you have any advice feel free to talk down to to me so I can follow.

Thanks in advance to all you people of the interwebs.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: I just re-activated my old Storm 9530 and have some questions

Your best bet is to make sure you have BlackBerry Desktop Software downloaded to your computer. If not, you can find it at www.blackberry.com/desktop . Once you've got it, plug your old phone in to your computer and fire up BDS. Once your phone has connected to it, BDS will see that you're not up to date with your OS and it will guide you to updating your OS.

As for syncing your GMail contacts, I'm not an expert on syncing but if you set up your GMail account on your phone, you'll be halfway there. Others can guide you better than I so I'll stop there.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.