Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I want to know WHEN the SMS message was sent

I do not find a way to get the information at what time a SMS message was sent. For example if I don not have any network during several hours, the time at which I receive a SMS message will be the time at which I recover some network… not the time at which the writer sent the SMS message.

Even my Nokia 3410 was able to get this information… Why not my BB 9700?

Same concerning the acknowledgement of receipt: I do not see at what time the SMS was received…

Is there any solution…?  Please!

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: I want to know WHEN the SMS message was sent

Ok, let's see if I can explain this clearly enough for people to understand ... 

Click on the "thread" for the person you are texting ... you should see the trail of SMSs sent/received. 

Scroll into the txt msg in question (whether the one you sent or received)

You should then see at the top (under the person's name & pic) one of either: 

- Received Day @ Time

or

- Sent Day @ Time 

It's subtle, but it is there. 

Let me know if I need to clarify the above. 

Cheers!

New Contributor

Thank you but............

The "Received Day @ Time" is the time at which the BB received the message, not the time at which the sender ACTUALLY sent the text message, which was the meaning of my question...

Super Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Thank you but............

From my experience with BB, I have yet to find a way for the messages to show the time it was received by the server; it shows the time it was received on your phone. So if you had your phone off for 2 days and then turned it back on, all SMSs would show the time they downloaded to your phone. 

Maybe someone else knows how to fix this, but I haven't been able to figure it out on any BB I've owned.

New Contributor

Yes! And this is very sad!

I am really disapointed...  It can be very useful....

Any other phone can know the time at which the text message was received on the server. Even 10 years old phones...

No solution? Any software update to solve this issue?

My Device: 9700

Re: Yes! And this is very sad!

Is there any update on this? As a new BlackBerry user I am absolutely astonished there's no way to check the time an incoming SMS was received by the network rather than the handset. As many mobile networks default to sending messages with 1 week validity, you can't even tell which day of the week it was sent so for some users this is a really serious omission. At the very least, it could be displayed under a menu option e.g. maybe change 'show recipients' to 'details' and include it there.

My Carrier: AT&T

I've had my bold 9700 for about six months and the send/receive time issue has ALWAYS been a nuisance. I get emails and SMS at all hours of the day and night. I feel pushed into the "must leave phone on" corner since I can only see a correct (close to "send" time) timestamp if the BB is on. This is one of the biggest downfalls, IMO, of RIM. So much data is used nowadays, and we can't even get a clear idea of when someone sends us a message if our phone isn't getting a signal. The "send" information is there - RIM needs to step up and make it available to us!

New Contributor
My Device: PRIV STV100-4
My Carrier: Vodafond UK

Was this ever resolved?  There are quite a few of these threads and they all seem to end in 2011.  I have a bold 9700 on vodafone.  I switched to a BB some years ago from a Sony-Ericcson (and previously a NOKIA handset) on the same number and network and they both had all message proerties accessible on the handset even if not necessarily displayed in the message box (configurable).   I always disappointed when with each model upgrade the problem with SMS messages for BB isn't fixed.  Or is it and I just need to change some setting?

My Device: 9360
My Carrier: singtel

I'm a first time BB user on a Curve 9360 OS 7.1.0.391. It baffles and peeves me to no end that this feature still isn't supported.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: PRIV STV100-4
My Carrier: Vodafond UK

Ok so is this like some kind of RIM conspiracy or something?  All over the internet whenever I see posts relating to th is, there are a few posts with a few suggestions of how to see the sent time which don't work no matter what model of BB you have (I have just upgraded to the Bold 9900) and then they go cold.  Do I have to hire a security guard and start locking my door at night or something?  Is there something I should know...? :-)  This seems like such an obvious problem, how come RIM aren't responding?