Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Att

I want to like my Torch, but......

[ Edited ]
  • Email is horrible for viewing compared to my former iPhone
  • Web is better than before - but still horrible when compared to other devices
  • Touch screen is slow and laggy
  • Mac Destop manager is not all it should be - can't delete application without getting an error.
  • App store search is horrible, I can see and app online, but can't download to my computer, so I look in the app store on the phone and can't find it.
  • Pre loaded applications - some you can delete and some you can't - reminds me of Microsoft preloading applications.   Tells me the developer is more concerend in selling spots to vendors than keeping clients free to choose.
  • No turn by turn GPS navigation
  • Calender sync is a mess if you wanted to have a business and personal calendar, not to mention to sync with your computer wirelessly
  • Can only set one alarm time?

I find myslef not going to my blackberry for things I would of on my iPhone just because it's so inconvient.   For a company that was a leader in Smartphone inovation you have not followed the trend (listened to consumers) at all.   I see the same complaints about blackberrys that I saw 5 years ago prior to switching to an iPhone.

I do like the keyboard + touch, but it's not enough to keep me as a blackberry owner.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: I want to like my Torch, but......

[ Edited ]

Most of your points are false information or misconceptions. And, I don't see that you've asked a question there anywhere, so suffer me a moment to answer a few that you should have asked.

Of course, things like the email viewing on the Torch is just a subjective opinion. I've read email on both, I prefer the BlackBerry for viewing email. Was there something specific about viewing email you feel is inferior?

Pre-Loaded Applications... most of those you see are not preloaded apps, they are simple install shortcuts. You really can't delete those "pushed" application installation shortcuts, not very easy. This is simpler. Do this: create a folder on your homescreen and name it "Junk" (you might choose to be even more creative the folder name Smiley Happy ). Now, Scroll to each unwanted icon and press the Menu key > Move to Folder and move it to the "Junk" folder. Do that for each you don't want.  Now scroll to that "Junk" folder and select Menu > Hide. Out of site, out of mind. Meanwhile, feel free to complain to Verizon or on their own user forums.

Turn by Turn GPS... yep, Google Maps Mobile is pretty darn good. From your BlackBerry browser go to m.google.com/maps  And it is free. The best paid navigation app is TeleNav.

Dual Calendar sync works well, once you learn how and what works and what doesn't.

Multiple Alarms: You can set as many Alarms as you want. You can set ONE main alarm, and many others from within the Calenar app. Open your Calendar > Menu key > New Alarm.

Hope those help out. You can gain much information around by asking. There are many knowledgable people here who love to help, just ask.

But bottom line, no this is not an iPhone. It won't work like or act like or even look like one.

So don't expect it to be an iPhone.

But by learning and asking for help, you'll be much more pleased.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

What OS are you on? Type in a new message MYVER and a space after to see and report back please.
I am on OS 6.0.0.246 and it ihas been very solid compared to older versions.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

knottyrope wrote:

I am on OS 6.0.0.246 and it ihas been very solid compared to older versions.

I think .246 is the older version...

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Att

Update -

Email's do not display properly if they have images, even if you click to accept images.   Whole email is not visable on the screen without scrolling from side to side.

Can't add or delete application via desktop manager because I get an error saying an app is not stored locally.

going online to blackberry apps, I can find an app called battle.net,   since I cannot install via the computer because of the above error I have to do it on the phone.   However, a search of the apps on the phone does not find battle.net

I did ask in a separate post how to resolve the error - no responses.   Does blackberyy have a place to get a tech answer without buying a service agreement?   ATT is no help.

Here:

jimgior wrote:

Update -

Email's do not display properly if they have images, even if you click to accept images.   Whole email is not visable on the screen without scrolling from side to side.

I never had that problem. All of your emails, or some?

I'm using an add-on add called ShowMeTheImages that really helps improve on the HTML image display.

Can't add or delete application via desktop manager because I get an error saying an app is not stored locally.

More details, please. What version of the Desktop Software are you using?

Is this the app? http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/13011?lang=en

going online to blackberry apps, I can find an app called battle.net,   since I cannot install via the computer because of the above error I have to do it on the phone.   However, a search of the apps on the phone does not find battle.net

Are you talking about in App World?

Can you try looking at www.mobihand.com for this app?

I did ask in a separate post how to resolve the error - no responses.   Does blackberyy have a place to get a tech answer without buying a service agreement?   ATT is no help.

Yes, here.

Or, call your service provider and ask them to escalate the issue to RIM Level tech support. They will do that.

Knowledge Base Updates