Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Important Questions about updating 9900 to BB 7.1 OS

Hi, I have received the notification that my BB 9900 needs to update to the BB 7.1 OS before December 14, 2013.

My concern is, will this delete my memo's? I have many of them and I do not want to lose any.

Will it delete my regular phone contacts and BBM messenger contacts?

Will it delete my media files, as in my pictures and videos that I have saved to my BB 9900?

Please, if anyone can help answers these question it will be greatly appreciated.

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Important Questions about updating 9900 to BB 7.1 OS

Hi Ruv21

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

If you're getting notification about device software from your Carrier then ..IMO you should go for it , however do it using BlackBerry desktop software and most important after a complete device backup. 

Regarding your queries :

• No , after an update you can restore your Memo's from those backups.Also while updating it does offer backup and restore option.
  • If you're using BBM 7 or higher then all of your BBM contacts are stored with your present BlackBerry ID , so if you use the same BlackBerry ID then you won't loose your BBM contact list. For address book it will offer  backup and restore option while updating .
  • If your media files are stored in your media card then update will never touch that part .. However if your media files are stored on your device memory then it will , but you can do a backup of your media files to avoid any data loss.

As I said earlier , use desktop software to update your device software , don't perform an OTA software update. First look at this helpful article regarding device backup How To Backup Your BlackBerry and do a backup of your BlackBerry.

After backup, connect your device and run desktop software , within desktop software click Device >  Update , if any updates are available from your carrier then it will offer you the available update. Also check this KB article for help :

KB03901 :How to update BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Thank you prince2012, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I have installed the BB desktop software on my computer and will use it to backup the files before I start the update.

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Hi Ruv

You're most welcome ...let us know if you feel any problem Smiley Happy

Good luck.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.