Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Importing video to the Bold

Well, I think I have found a pretty good solution. Here is what it looks like. I use an application called AVS Video Converter. I can't recall what I paid for it, about $20 I think. A simple Google search will find it. I have experimented with several settings and here is what I've settled on:

• I convert the source file "To WMV"
  • I customize the WM format for "384kbps"
    • Frame size set at 480w x 320h
    • In the advaced setting (within the profile), boost the "Quality" to 100
  • In the Advanced section, use the "Aspect Correction" to remove any letter-boxing

So that's it. This produces excellent quality, removes letter-boxing and reduces the file size to about 30% of the original file. In some cases even less.

If I discover anything else worthwile, I'll post it here.

Contributor

Thanks very much indeed - that's extremely useful. So far, every file I have tried has lasted about 60 to 90 secs and then stopped with an "error" message. I shall download this programme and use your settings and try again.

Cheers!

M.

Contributor

I have found for those of us who don't have a suped up pc with giant video and graphics cards a program called handbrake along with software such as DVD43 will change video, DVD, etc into MP4 and you can direct it to drop on your microsd card.  I have uploaded several DVDs that are compressed into less than 1 GB per movie with no problems.  There is other software out there that is WAY faster but these work and their free.

Hope it helps

Contributor

Thanks for the tip -  but, following Senator's previous post, I have now downloaded AVS convertor (6.2) and, as Senator said, it is a very complete programme that allows conversion of all types to all types.

In the .avi section, there are 2 presets profiles specifically for Blackberry - 81xxx (560kbps, 320x240) and 8xxx (420kbps, 240x180). I have also used the .wmv preset Microsoft Zone (568kbps 320x240). Both formats play ok.

But I am intertested to read that you can play full length movies on your Blackberry? Do you have problems with fast forward or reverse? I am new to this but, unless there is a keyboard shortcut that I am missing, I roll the track ball up to the time line and click - then roll it forward and click again. This works with the supplied demo videos (that are around a minute in length) but so far, whenever I try it on a video of more than a few minutes, it cause the blackberry to freeze. I thought it might be an issue of the length of the video - that's why I am curious to learn you can play full length films.

The woefully inadequate user guide has no instruction for video playback - and there is no supplied manual - so am I missing something? Is there a shortcut or keyboard sequence to control fast forward and reverse that doesn't cause freezing? if anyone could let me know I would much apreciate because, so far, I can now play videos and impoert them from any format - but they all freeze if I try to fast forward or reverse.

Thanks!

M

Contributor

I have had my Bold less than a week so am pretty green and don't know any better but I just dragged video files from my iTunes folder to the H drive on the Bold - my 8GB SD card - in Windows Explorer.  They were free Photoshop TV podcasts and one was in mpeg-4 format and the other in Quicktime.  Both are 50 minute shows and they play really well. The defintion is superb and they fill the full screen.
Contributor

No problems with fast forwarding or rewinding.  I just highlight the line and move track ball.  in an effort to make the full length features small there are no title menus or chapter changes allowed but you can scroll to about any point in the movie.  handbrake has built in settings for Iphone and touch and since the bold has the same screen only smaller it works great as a full screen viewing. 

I figured all this out by seeing this link in another posting www.legitreviews.com/article/826/1/  when I tried what the author said my laptop said that it wasn't compatible (no graphics and video card) with the software suggested so I emailed him and he told me to try those.  They have worked great so far.........a little slow to upload, but nonetheless GREAT!  Hope that helps out. 

Contributor

Yeah, if they are already in MP4 format......thats perfect.  the additional software is for DVDs.  but good to know that you can drag and drop. 

Thanks

Contributor

Thanks guys.

Maybe there is something wrong with my unit (?) - am I the only one who has this problem with selecting a section of video further up the track?

I highlight the line, click the trackball, roll it to the right - and the cursor moves to the new point - and then click the trackball again. But almost every time the video freezes and locks up and I have to exit the programme. Am I doing something wrong????

M

Contributor

I have just tried it on mine with the Photoshop TV mpeg-4 video I mentioned earlier.  The movement of the cursor is not very smooth, it tends so jump minutes at a time, but every time I stop and press the trackball it starts right up at that point.  I really can't help you with what might be different except that mine is brand new and I don't have much other stuff on it, either files or applications.  If it was a PC I would be looking for lack of memeory or interference from another program
Contributor

Could you guys always keep something in mind here. Everyone talks about using WMV or Itunes all via PC or Schmindows but completely fails to see that not everyone is stuck or willing to deal with a PC or Schindows nightmare OS. Keep in mind that there is about 30 percent of us Black Berry users out there that are living the good life on a Mac or Apple OS.  Many of the problems spoken above I have dealt with.  What I can say from experience is that the phone was designed and made for was 3G and .mpg4 and from the demo video obviously works very well. If you want to change it to another video format and then complain that it does not play nice with the black berry os is not fair. Let alone say I do  not want to use 3g for videos. It may not be Black Berrys fault it may be Cell providers wanting to use 3g for SMS or MMS messaging. First of all WMV files do not play nice on many devices. Why? Becuase of Schmindows monopobly on things. But that said you really can not complain about the videos that have problems fast forwarding when they are not in the format the they were designed to use.  "Hack at your own Risk" comes to mind. Funny thing is I tried uploading video clips .mpg4 files that were ripped right from "HandBrake" for the ipod   and it did the same thing with the  freezing up when trying to  fast  forward the video.  But videos created in .mpg4 via Mac os Itunes worked perfectly. By the way I did a bit of research the demo videos that come on the good ol USA model via ATT comes loaded with Demo Videos in non other than .Mpg4 format, Not 3G.