Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

In Holster/ Out of Holster?

When you are editing a profile what is the difference between the in holster/ out of holster options?  How do you "holster" your phone?
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

Re: In Holster/ Out of Holster?

A holster is a case with a magnet insert. When the phone detects the magnet, it automatically goes into a lower power state to conserve the battery.
Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

I have never used my holster, should I be???

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI459), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Bizybeejm wrote:

I have never used my holster, should I be???

That would be a personal decision. If you are having no issues and prefer whatever method of carrying it that you use, then there'd be no reason to change that. But, if you are having battery drain issues by virtue of other things clicking buttons or something, then the holster could help prevent that from happening.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

You could hold the mute button to put the phone into standby mode, which is the same as putting the phone in a holster. That way you don't need to use it if you don't want to.
Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
My Device: Blackberry Curve (Edge?) 8310

[ Edited ]

What kind of magnet? I have brought strong and weak magnets near my 8310 and it does not change its status. I also brought magnets near the holster and there is no expected magnetic reaction (attraction/repulsion).

In other words, I've tried to externally verify this claim and have not been able to. Is there any documentation that states there is a magnet in the holster?

Thank you.

---Luis
Atheists don't exist. Agnostics might exist.
Contributor
My Device: 8310 Curve

[ Edited ]

After reading your post I would almost say you just called Kijana a liar.

It would probably be worth your time to look into it yourself after someone post something to help you. Here is a link.

http://www.shopblackberry.com/_blackberryaccessories/cgi-bin/pd.cgi?frompage=category&page=product_d...

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI459), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

The only magnets that can be assured to work properly are those included within the OEM BB cases...they are placed properly (which varies by BB model) and are of the proper strength to provide the required reaction on the BB.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Bell

Have they found a fix for allowing only vibration in holster and ringing when out of holster.  this is causing me great frustration to the point I might switch.  It was part of the older models that it yould ring when out of holster and you could set it to only vibrate when in holster.