Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8320

In/Out of Holster?

[ Edited ]

What does that mean when you're in the sound profiles? I got my Curve on Tuesday and I'm not too happy with the "manual" the phone came with. Very brief overview of the phone as well as the Help on the phone. Is there a better place to read up on how to configure the phone and what the different options mean? Coming from a T-MO Wing to a BB is a big change but its oh so nice Smiley Happy

--

Oh, has anyone ever encounted (with T-MO) a random power cycle when they come home and you have Wi-Fi? I mean I would be either on EDGE/edge/GPRS/gprs (don't remember), it would power cycle, then come back, then be on UMA! My phone did that twice to me yesterday so I called T-MO CS and they put a note on my account about it so they would have a record about this. I took the advice from the BB tech and did a software upgrade to 4.2.2.180 and so far it seems to be working.

Message Edited by ChelsG on 06-20-2008 08:59 PM
Regular Contributor
My Device: ATT BOLD 9700

Re: In/Out of Holster?

you will be able to find much information here and some other sites like pinstack.com and crackberry.com. the in/out of holster is how you want the BB to react to certain actions such as appointments, messages and so forth whether it is in the holster or not, an example is i have it on the normal profile and when a message arrives it vibrates when in holster, and would make a sound if out of the holster
New Contributor

Yes but what is exactly the holster? Thats what I'd like to find out. I'm thinking its a the case you put the phone in, but how does the phone know its in a case? If its not a case, then what is it?
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

The holster is ( in my case ) a belt clip Case, it has Carben fiber inside the case, and the phone has carben fiber detection inside the phone, thats how it knows when its in the case. There for, inside the case on your belt you can have it set to ring louder, to hear it better, and Ring Softer when out of the case, so it dosnt scare the bu-jesus out of you when its sitting on your desk next to you lol.

New Contributor

Oh ok. Thats nice! Do you know if there is something like that in the phone case you get in the box? My case that it came with has a thick strip on one side that looks like a belt loop, but its stitched all the way around.

How did you find out about the strip detector and the actual strip itself?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

i found out about the carben fiber, because i used to work with NCO and Bestbuys Geek squad, we got first hand experience on all this stuff. Also that sleave that comes with the BB curve, thats all it is, a protective sleave, and Yes that also has the Carben fiber in it. but unfortinatly no belt clip. I picked mine up at Bestbuy for Retail 29.99.

P.S: a note i forgot to add. While in the Cases, it auto locks the keys, and unlocks again when taken out of the case. Smiley Wink 

Message Edited by xaroc on 06-21-2008 10:33 PM
New Contributor

Are you sure about the BlackBerry sensing carbon fibers in the case? I don’t think so. Some BlackBerry Cases come with “Magnetized proximity-sensing technology”. There is a magnet on the case that secures the strap to the case. The strap keeps the phone from falling out. The magnetic proximity sensor tells your BlackBerry smartphone when you've put it away - so it can automatically switch off the screen and preserve your battery life. The sensor can also work with your device to enable it to switch notification settings depending on if your device is in or out of the case. Magnetic proximity sensors are characterized by the possibility of large switching distances, available from sensors with small dimensions. They detect magnetic objects (usually permanent magnets), which are used to trigger the switching process. Correct me if I am wrong. Give me a source to the carbon fiber sensing information, so I can read up on this technology.

New Contributor

Also, in the lower part of the case that comes with the blackberry there is a magnet that dRAINS OUT THE BATTERY! do not use this holster!
New Contributor

slantedeyez: How do you know that? Did you rip open the case and find a magnet in the bottom? Why would they purposely want to drain the battery in the first place? That makes no sense.
New Contributor

There are three magnets on the case. One at the end of the strap, one on the case where the end of the strap touches. There is also a magnet on the inside, at the back of the case about a half inch up from the bottom. To find these magnets take a paper clip or any small object that a magnet can attract. The magnet inside the case toward the bottom is the magnet that put the phone into hibernation. To see what I am talking about, take the magnet at the end of the strap and put it up against the back of the BlackBarry Curve toward the bottom middle of the phone. The phone will go into hibernation when the magnet is in the correct position within a second or two. The carbon fiber being magnetized is not correct. I still am waiting for a web site or other reference to the magnetized carbon (carben) fibers theory.