Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT & T

Increased battery drain after upgrading to OS

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior.  My BlackBerry Torch 9810 is fairly new, purchased in October 2011, and my battery life was pretty good.  I'm not a heavy talker or texter, but I do view web sites and use apps occasionally, and by the end of the day I would still have around 75% battery life.

But since I upgraded to version OS 7.x, I've noticed that I can do nothing except text a couple times a day, and by the end of the day it's almost completely drained.

I downloaded BeAlert to show me what applications are running, which is good, but I don't have a way of closing them.  I'm mostly talking about BlackBerry Messenger and App World.  It seems like they can't be closed.

Any ideas on what I can do to prevent these apps from draining my battery?  Or any ideas why this is happening in the first place?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Increased battery drain after upgrading to OS

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on Smartphone. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Disable Compression on media card? go to Options, Device, Storage

using a custom theme? try it for a day the factory default one to rule out your theme

remember the esc key closes most apps, except for GPS and some chat clients. the other apps need to use menu and then exit or close. The farthest key to the right is a home key and does not close any apps per se but will end calls.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT & T

Re: Increased battery drain after upgrading to OS

Thanks for the info. I have checked the CPU and other device settings, but it doesn't have a way of shutting down a running service if I don't need it.

Example: right now it is 2:45 pm PST and the battery is at 30%.  I talked on the phone once today for about 10 minutes and texted about 4 times.  I haven't used any apps or browsed any sites.  This never used to happen with the other OS version.

I charge my phone every night.

I do know about clicking the "Close" menu item and that the button on the right does not actually close the app.  I figured that out finally.

It just seems that the apps that I can't close down, are using up more battery power in the background than they used to.

I actually need to be able to browse sites anytime, but now I feel I have to be very picky about when I do so I don't lose power when I'm away from my charger.

It's frustrating.