Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

I am getting the following message. I don't know if its related.. But I unzipped, and then tried to install. The file still decompressed, and still gave me this error at startup..HELP anyone?

Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4001.5512

msiexec /Option <Required Parameter> [Optional Parameter]

Install Options
    </package | /i> <Product.msi>
        Installs or configures a product
    /a <Product.msi>
        Administrative install - Installs a product on the network
    /j<u|m> <Product.msi> [/t <Transform List>] [/g <Language ID>]
        Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user
    </uninstall | /x> <Product.msi | ProductCode>
        Uninstalls the product
Display Options
    /quiet
        Quiet mode, no user interaction
    /passive
        Unattended mode - progress bar only
    /q[n|b|r|f]
        Sets user interface level
        n - No UI
        b - Basic UI
        r - Reduced UI
        f - Full UI (default)
    /help
        Help information
Restart Options
    /norestart
        Do not restart after the installation is complete
    /promptrestart
        Prompts the user for restart if necessary
    /forcerestart
        Always restart the computer after installation
Logging Options
    /l[i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|x|+|!|*] <LogFile>
        i - Status messages
        w - Nonfatal warnings
        e - All error messages
        a - Start up of actions
        r - Action-specific records
        u - User requests
        c - Initial UI parameters
        m - Out-of-memory or fatal exit information
        o - Out-of-disk-space messages
        p - Terminal properties
        v - Verbose output
        x - Extra debugging information
        + - Append to existing log file
        ! - Flush each line to the log
        * - Log all information, except for v and x options
    /log <LogFile>
        Equivalent of /l* <LogFile>
Update Options
    /update <Update1.msp>[;Update2.msp]
        Applies update(s)
    /uninstall <PatchCodeGuid>[;Update2.msp] /package <Product.msi | ProductCode>
        Remove update(s) for a product
Repair Options
    /f[p|e|c|m|s|o|d|a|u|v] <Product.msi | ProductCode>
        Repairs a product
        p - only if file is missing
        o - if file is missing or an older version is installed (default)
        e - if file is missing or an equal or older version is installed
        d - if file is missing or a different version is installed
        c - if file is missing or checksum does not match the calculated value
        a - forces all files to be reinstalled
        u - all required user-specific registry entries (default)
        m - all required computer-specific registry entries (default)
        s - all existing shortcuts (default)
        v - runs from source and recaches local package
Setting Public Properties
    [PROPERTY=PropertyValue]

Consult the Windows ® Installer SDK for additional documentation on the
command line syntax.

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.

Samuel Warren
"All that glitters is not gold" -J.R.R. Tolkien
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

@SamberWaren : you are not double-clicking on the right file. It's the other .exe .

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Oh boy this sounds like what may be causing problems for me.  Desktop Mgr was running just fine one day, along with Roxio Media Manager, then suddenly Desktop Mgr no longer recognized my device.  Where the pin was formerly listed was "none".  I did multiple clean uninstalls/installs and it still doesn't work.  I'm less than tech-savvy so I'm taking it to Verizon to look at tomorrow.  I'll let you know if I had the same problem indeed.
Warmest regards,
Gloria
BB Curve 8330
My Device: Not Specified

I fixed this.  I did the Clean Uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software, however this alone did not fix it.

I copied the path that the installer was asking for and searched it in the Registry.

What I found was an old key that was for the old BB Desktop Software version 4.2

This Key had a value in it that pointed to the old install path.

I deleted the entire Key

When I launched BB Desktop Software after deleting that Key, only half the problem was gone.  It kept popping up for that Installer but it would close quickly and eventually go away.

To complete the fix and have the issue totally gone, I had to delete a second registy key.  The value in the key was referring to RIM.

After seeing what I had done for this fix, I think it could also be done by following the Microsoft KB article for Windows Installer Cleanup.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

New Contributor

Hi,

I've had the desktop software V.2.2 for a while now running just fine on my XP pc.

While doing data backup a couple of days ago, the pc hung up. It was just stuck and I couldn't get it out of whatever it was stuck on. Screen was frozen, mouse was too, and I could get the Task Manager to come up so I could see what was causing the freeze.

Hesistantly, I had no choice but to shut off and reboot the pc.

Everything came up fine after the reboot except for the BB desktop software. It just wouldn't come up. I figured the ungraceful shut off hammered the software.

So, I tried reloading the software. After each install and reboot, a Windows installer window would come up with a message saying it is looking for filename "Blackberry 8310.msi". I looked in the installer directory (unzipped) but couldn't find that file.

I followed the procedure for the clean deinstall that involves removal of the software, then going into the registry and removing specific RIM entries, then removing the RIM folders in the c:\Program Files folder, then reboot, then activating the atl.ddl, and then reboot again.

I've tried this with V4.2.2., V4.3, V.4.5, and V5.0. They all return the same result. They all look for that file Blackberry 8310.msi.

Would like to get other suggestions. Anything else I might have missed or should try?
Would it be wise to do a global registry search and delete for Blackberry or Research in Motion?

Or is there a place where I can simply download the Blackberry 8310.msi so I can reference it when the Windows installer window ask for it?

Would appreciate your help.

r,
eagle
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

eagle07 wrote:

Would like to get other suggestions. Anything else I might have missed or should try?
Would it be wise to do a global registry search and delete for Blackberry or Research in Motion?

Or is there a place where I can simply download the Blackberry 8310.msi so I can reference it when the Windows installer window ask for it?

Would appreciate your help.

r,
eagle

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

It is unusual for it to be asking for a device-specific file. DTM is pretty much device independent unless you also have obtained and installed your carriers device OS package and installed it atop DTM (which, btw, I always recommend be done...but it is an additional step). Therefore, even though there will be much redundance to what you've already tried, I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything. Further, I suppose you could attempt steps 4 and 6 alone given where you stand...but I've no idea if that will work or not...that's just a guess...

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:

• Choose the version that is newest and (if applicable) compatible with your PIM (if you are synchornizing via USB):
  • KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install DTM to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

PROBLEM SOLVED!

It took two days and a couple of additional suggestions but I was able to get it fixed.  Whew!  Smiley Happy

For two days, I repeated the suggested clean reinstall multiple times with different versions of the DESKTOP software.  I tried V2.2.2 through V5.0 to no avail.

Note that I've been concentrating on the DESKTOP software all this time because I couldn't get the installation completed.  The missing "Blackberry 8310.msi" message kept popping up.

Following sdgardne's suggestion, I also tried replacing the DEVICE software.

So on the next iteration, I tried deinstalling the BB 8310 DEVICE software from the Control Panel.  While doing this, an error message popped up saying "The configuration data for this file is corrupt."  The Device software disappeared from the list of installed software in the Control Panel though.

I tried to install the DEVICE OS a few times but I kept getting the "The configuration data for this file is corrupt." error message.  Using a suggestion from Blackberryforums, I downloaded the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. 

After removing the Blackberry device OS with the Windows Utility, I tried installing the Device OS again.  This time it completed the installation without the error message.

I launched the Desktop Manager software (V5) and voila!!!!  It works.  Hallelujah.  Smiley Happy

So, it was the DEVICE software all along that was hammered by the ungraceful shutdown and not the DESKTOP software. 

A few things I learned during this process:

- Blackberry 8310.msi is part of the Device software.  During installation, a message flashed on the screen saying it is exporting Blackberry 8310.msi.

- If the Desktop software doesn't connect to or have the connection port show up for the blackberry, it is likely that the Device software is corrupted. 

- Got to learn how to use the registry.  Smiley Happy

Thanks again for the help.  I hope the account of my experience above helps.

r,
eagle

Message Edited by eagle07 on 10-10-2009 09:57 AM
New Contributor

i have this same problem... bought a new laptop, had my old hard drive on an external and i cant sync or update and i keep getting some missing java error.  i am so bummed, i cant make any animated themes if i cant load them.  looking for a fix.... using 8900 on 4.6.1.2.3somethign and DM 5.0, using Windows VISTA pos.

New Contributor

been there done that and still br0Ken Smiley Sad(

New Contributor

In search of help with Desktop Manager, keeps shutting off by itself

I had to reformat my hard drive and i went ot reinstall Desktop manager.  It installs fine but when i go to open it it turns off by itself after a minuite or two.  I have unistalled it and re installed it several times and keep having the same problem.  Any hep would be appreciated.

thank You

david