Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

[ Edited ]

I've done the steps for a clean uninstall and cleaned the register files, reinstalled the desktop software and I've also downloaded BlackBerry Handheld Software v6.0.0.0278 but I'm still getting this message, Rim.Desktop.HttpServerSetup has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This was working but I had a virus and I did a restore on my laptop.  So I had to download this software again but now can't get it to work, it worked before with no problems.

New Contributor
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

Xandrex,

Thanks so much...using regedit worked perfectly. I had to try it a couple of times as a Microsoft Tech had used TeamViewer to remote to my machine and he had made an 'everyone' account for permissions. As soon as I got the permissions changed I was able to install the software.

New Contributor

I don't need any help, it started working  today

My Device: Blackberry Torch

Hello, I just got a brand new laptop, toshiba with windows 7.  I downloaded blackberry desktop manager 6 and when I try to start the program I get:

X Error parsing

c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config

Parser returned error 0x80070005

HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Okay, I've used a blackberry for about 6 years now.  I want to provide BlackBerry some constructive feedback on why the company is failing and how you should get your act together.  Surprisingly, I could find no "contact us" button or "feedback" button on any of the main website pages, so I am resorting to the forum page to give this advice.

The only reason I still use BlackBerry despite the multiple, superior products out there is that it is the only phone that I can get with a nice non-touch screen keypad.  If anyone else had that, I would no longer have a BlackBerry.

Here's just the latest among a long string of reasons why:  Today I got a message to update to the new desktop software--- version 7.0.0.43.  Okay, so far so good... click OK (yes, of course I wanted the latest and greatest desktop software).  I'm running Windows 7 x64, surely the programmers for the latest desktop software are accomodating this ubiquitous platform.

Well, I would be wrong.  Instead, I get some obscure, "you need Microsoft C++ SP1 package blah blah blah."  So I've already downloaded all the latest Windows Updates, and every other piece of software I have on my PC is running fine.  Why does the newest version of BlackBerry Desktop require some obscure Windows update that nothing else does?  And, after I click OK, why doesn't it automatically direct me somewhere to actually install that update?  Instead, if I want the latest, I need to go search the internet myself and manually install the obscure update that no other program requires to run...

Now, of course, I am (semi) computer literate, and capable of going out and manually doing this.  So I ask BlackBerry, in your infinite wisdom, "do you really think the other 98% of less than semi-literate computer and mobile phone users are going to bother or know how to do that themselves?"

This is why this is likely to be the last BlackBerry I ever buy, and why your company is going down the tubes faster than my 4 year old can say, "yes, I'll have another lollipop, please."

How about just a modicum of care taken to user functionality and convenience, and hey, maybe throw in a little customer support outside the anonymous forum while you're at it?

Forgiving the snarks, this is meant to be constructive criticism on what you need to do to actually make yourself a viable and reliable future phone company. 

Good luck.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9370
My Carrier: Verizon

I feel you.

So, here's my set-up: I'm using a new 9370. I'd gotten rid of an old Storm2 about six months ago in favor of an Android phone since it's much better at web browsing and viewing videos. However, Google publishes no software that allows one to directly sync with Outlook--I didn't know this until after I got the Android phone. Anyway, I need to sync my Outlook data with my phone so I have calendar and contacts in the phone; I'm on the road a lot...hence the new Curve.

I had Blackberry Desktop Software v6.1.XX remaining on my computer from before so I fired it up, connected my Curve and did a one-way Oulook>device sync. Worked perfectly: yea! Tuesday comes and I want to sync again. I open up the desktop software and it starts to download an update. As it turns out, it's updating to v7.0. Good enough. After it downloads, I start getting a number of dialog boxes with various set-up options (no explanation of what any of them meant) and--at least as close as I can recall--I must have chosen the wrong Outlook profile to sync with (our company uses IMAP for our email accounts and I chose the "Outlook" option instead--hey, I'm only syncing calendar and contacts, right?). Last night, as I'm trying to sync with Outlook again, it doesn't seem that it's working right. Come to find out my Outlook data has been wiped clean. No email files, no contacts, no calendar, nothing. So, in order to recover my complete Outlook data, I restored my system from a restore point.

From that time forward Blackberry Desktop Software hasn't worked at all. First, when I opened up v6.1.XX and clicked "Check for Updates", it said it was up to date. Then it wouldn't let me configure any sync settings. So, I thought I'd find the latest Desktop Software from the RIM website and reinstall it. I downloaded v7.0 then tried to uninstall v6.1.XX. No luck: an error message reading, "Error 1316. A network error occured while attempting to read from file C:\Windows\Installer\Blackberry Desktop Software.msi" appeared and the installer rolled everything back to it's earlier state. So, I tried  installing v7.0 over the existing version. It seemed to work until I tried to open it whereupon I get the "Blackberry Desktop Software stopped working; Windows is trying to find a solution" message. So, (and I did this twice) I uninstalled V7.0 and executed the setup file again. Each time I try to install v7.0 I get the same error message as I did when I tried to uninstall v6.1.XX, this Error 1316. So I downloaded v7.0 again and tried to install it and had the same result.

So now I'm left with no Blackberry Desktop Software and, of course, no way to sync my new Curve with Outlook--which is the only reason I got the Curve in the first place.

The only help I've been able to find so far for this problem is this forum, so I hope someone's able to provide some insight. Otherwise, I go back to Verizon and try to roll back all the changes I made to my account two days ago...and I'm back to square one...

Contributor

And now I feel for you.  I have not had those problems... yet.  Fortunately, I only got around to installing that update on 1 of my 4 PCs, and I now I don't believe I will do it on the others.  Oh... just checked for updates on my office PC (not intending to install it, just checking), and it says I now have the current version 6.0 and there are no updates.  So I guess they're having some problems with this update and pulled it for the time being while they fix it.  To be honest, given the effort you've put in already, if I were you I would wait a few days to see if they re-release the new update with the fixes.  I'm sure they were inundated with unhappy users and will now work pretty hard to fix it fast.

On that note, it really would be nice if they provided more information on these types of things to their customers.

I do share your pain with the lack of smart phone makers providing an easy synch integration with Outlook.  I've used Outlook all my life (and I'm not about to change) and no one has a painless synch solution, with possibly the exception of the Windows Phone which I'm sure integrates it seamlessly but I have yet to try.  BlackBerry's always been the next easiest to synch given it's early focus on the corporate world, but they are falling so far behind so quickly on technological innovation--it's really disappointing.

My Carrier: Vodafone

I am using the 9800 and I have loaded v7 onto windows 7 64 bit, twice. The setup stalls at the synchronisation stage when it is preparing a synch preview. It wont cancel either so the only way to stop it is to use Task manager.
Not happy.
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800/OS6
My Carrier: AT&T

Seems I'm not alone. I've had my 9700 for 2yrs now and not had a problem one. I started on OS5 and am now on OS6. (I don't belive the 9700 is OS7 compatible). I have been through however many software, OS etc updates all with no troubles until a few days ago (Feb. 13, I believe) when BB DsktpMgr "updated" and now I can do NOTHING.

I'm running Win7-64bit with all updates, BB DM says it's up to date yet when I open DM it gives me a dialogue box explaining there was a problem blah etc and it shuts down.

I've run the "repair" function in "progs/features" for DM twice, uninstalled/reinstalled twice, repaired those installations as well and still nothing.

RIM.... LETS ISSUE A FIX HUH???!!! (plz?)

I have not failed, I've found 10,000 ways that did not work. -T.Edison
Contributor

Okay, so I now have this new 7.0.0.43 desktop version on my computer and working.  The trick is to go out and install the following:  Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) update first before you try to install the 7.0.0.43 (why they don't tell you this or give you an easy way to do it is beyond me).  This is the link if you have trouble finding it:  http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5582.

Please note I am using Windows 7, x64.  I have no idea if this works for other OS's.

Once I installed this, the BlackBerry 7.0.0.43 version upgrade installed without a hitch, and it works without a hitch (unlike some others who got it installed but then found it didn't work). 

I will say this, once you get it working, it's a huge improvement to the old desktop software.  They ditched the intellisync which was klunky and slow, and have a brand new synch engine which is marvelous!  Much easier to synch several different address, contact, calendars, notes, etc etc all at the same time.  It is truly a big improvement and kudos to BlackBerry for that.

Good luck everybody...