Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Digicet TT

Installed new digitizer, and now some buttons don't work

I installed a new digitizer on my Torch 9850. The old one got cracked, and the touch screen got cracked, and no buttons worked.

After installation, I was excited to see the touch screen working, but upon checking, only my "End" button works. The trackpad works, but not the trackpad button. Twice I took it out and put it back in again, but this did not work.

The phone is still in good condition otherwise.

If anyone has any solutions or advice, I'm willing to try anything.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Installed new digitizer, and now some buttons don't work

Once you've disassembled the device it could be anything from a damaged trackpad, damaged ribbon cable or damaged main board. There's no way for us to know here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Out of the three things you mentioned, I suppose it will have to be the main board. The digitizer that I ordered came with a new trackpad and the ribbons. It was just a matter of swapping them.

I should also mention that those things stopped working when the phone fell, not when I put the new digitizer in

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Aha! You didn't post all the pertinent information. It is easy for a drop to cause something to come loose on the main board. Replacing a digitizer will not fix damaged buttons,etc. The only way to know how to fix the device is for a tech to inspect it and see any other damage can be found. Sometimes it can be seen, sometimes not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Highlighted
New Contributor

well that's about it then. the touch screen wasnt working at all, but it's fine now. i will have to go look for a repair center other than that. thanks for your help