07-26-2013 07:06 AM
I have a Storm 9530 but that isn't an active phone (doesn't have a service plan). Can I still download new applications through BlackBerry Desktop so my kids can use the phone for games? When I ever I try to use the BlackBerry App World, I get an error that it couldn't connect to the App World client because the device "content protection was enabled." Problem is, I don't have device content protection enabled. When I try to open App World on the device, it tells me to run a BlackBerry ID update...which I can't do because the device has no service.
Can I connect the device to the internet through the USB connection on my laptop to get the update?
07-26-2013 04:00 PM
Hi and Welcome to the Community!
You can try, but there are no guarantees...I found that older (pre OS6) devices without a service plan simply couldn't function for too many things to make them worth dealing with. But, you can try...
For your BB OS, the simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):
1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages
2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed
3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:
4) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:
5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.
Don't forget to backup.
If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:
For AppWorld, it may be that you have an older version of that as well, one that requires a service plan in order to use it. Unfortunately, updating it requires the use of the BB Browser, which on those older devices required a service plan -- catch-22. But perhaps you can try the web-based AppWorld, with your BB tethered to your PC: