02-09-2009 08:40 PM
Hello everyone. I got my Blackberry storm phone approximately 2 weeks ago and it was working perfectly. I was able to Back-up my files and Synchronize my Contacts from the Windows Address Book. I had 68 Contacts in it and today I added 5 more to make it 73. I went to synch the phone and right as it was about to synch the contacts, I got a "Intellisync Connector Specific Error" message. I then checked the logs and on the bottom of the log, it says "Internal Error #4238".
I deleted and re-installed the Blackberry Desktop Manager, and reset my computer and phone several times. I also wne to the Advanced section and deleted the contacts from the phone and tried re-installing them and it only installed 44 of them and got the same "Intellisync Connector Specific Error" message. I was on the phone with Verizon for an Hour and they couldn't help.
I'm running Windows Vista. Any help appreciated.
Solved! Go to Solution.
02-10-2009 12:17 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums!
The organizer data may be corrupt.
02-12-2009 12:46 AM
02-12-2009 05:56 AM
02-12-2009 07:25 AM
Are you resolved?
02-12-2009 09:28 AM
02-12-2009 01:34 PM
I'm glad you have it fixed.
Please resolve the thread so others can find your answer faster.
04-21-2009 08:50 PM
I wanted to take a minute and post a solution that fixed this problem for me when nothing else would...
Problem: When downloading to my Blackberry Storm I always got an error - Connection Specific Error. Usually it occured 19 contacts into the download. The log file on the Blackberry Desktop stated
Internal Error #4238.
Here is what I tried first..
Reload the firmware on the device.
Erase all contacts from the device and then reload.
Power down the pc and the device.
Remove the battery from the device.
Wipe the device clean and then reload all software.
Deleted 50% of the contacts and try to reload. Error still occurred.
Final solution. I exported all contacts out to a CSV, deleted all contacts from Windows mail, and the imported again. As soon as I did this the device synced perfectly.
One observation is that the contacts on the Windows Mail had many of them with a random clipart type picture that we did not add. Nor could I find where to delete them in the contact info. As soon as the contact data was imported again the pictures were removed as the data was in raw csv format. Thinking this export/import process may clean up the contact info and clear out the problem that caused the initial error.
Hope this info helps someone else... I was about to throw mine away..... rrm.
04-27-2009 07:42 PM
I faced the same problem of all this guys: Internal Error #4238
But I have 650 contacts, and that's impossible to use any of those case to case solutions.
I resume the problem is that the new version of the syncronizer (4.7 desktop version, at least) has a bug to read pictures from the contacts list. (I have a bold 9000 and a computer running vista)
Got to the "Configure Syncronization"
Define Syncronization Fields
UNTAG picture syncronization.
I lost too much time in the telephone with the Brazilian Blackberry Support trying to find a solution, they procrastinated a lot and did not shown any way.
Please see my suggestion and translate it to a more comprehensive text. I am not really a technical specialist in telecom or smartphones and took too much time reading logs and reviewing all procedures.