Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Orange

Intellisync failure - check boxes clearing

Hi,

I've purchased a new Curve 8520 and installed the latest desktop software and the phone is correctly identified in the software.  I have Outlook 2007 32bit installed on the PC on Windows XP Pro.  I select Organiser and select  the Sync options and the box that comes up with window "Intellisync".  I'm presented with various tick boxes for Calendar, tasks contacts etc. If select any of them it takes you through the wizard and correctly lists Outlook as one of the applications to sync with.  It gets all the way through including the congratulations screen but when it returns back to the intellisync screen the tick is removed as though its ignored the wizard.  I tried using the Sync button but it tells me that I've selected nothing to Sync. It does the same no matter what option I try, calendar, tasks etc.  

I've uninstalled the Desktop software and reinstalled in the hope it may clear a problem but the same problem exists.

Help!  I've no contacts!

Thanks

Brendan

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Intellisync failure - check boxes clearing

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

You might benefit from Advanced Logging...see if the logs can point you in the right direction.

• KB01451How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.  In the end I've come to the conclusion it's not worth the trouble.  I have Mdaemon which is a RIM owned company on my mail server so I upgraded the phone to include BIS and now I have complete sync with my mail server so no need to use the sync on the desktop. Much easier.

Cheers

Brendan

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Yes, much better! A BB without a full data plan is quite hobbled, IMHO. Great!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

I don't know what BIS is nor IMHO, but doesn't it seem strange to anyone that a BB won't sync with Outlook running MDeamon using the latest software on the BB and the desktop.  Does someone attempting this have to go to the point  of giving up and using some other method, rather than the thing that is straight forward, and can be done while recharging the phone?  Shouldn't the software work?  Shouldn't it work under a variety of common conditions that Outlook might have, like multiple calendars (pick one!), Outlook connector, running RIM's own MDaemon?

I have the same exact problem with the checkboxes clearing after a "successful" configuration on the office computer I have that runs MDeamon.  And I do NOT want to have a data plan in order to sync with my office computer.  The Blackberry syncs fine with my home laptop & desktop.  I tried the fix suggested above (along with several others I have seen), but it didn't work, though I have two nice data files that "explain the failures". 

The question is, should I be switching to a different smart phone?

Hall of Famer III

rxensen wrote:

I don't know what BIS is nor IMHO

BIS = Blackberry Internet Service, the component of a BB data plan (from your wireless service provider) that enables the BB proprietary functions...see this FAQ for general guidance:

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

rxensen wrote:

but doesn't it seem strange to anyone that a BB won't sync with Outlook running MDeamon using the latest software on the BB and the desktop.  Does someone attempting this have to go to the point  of giving up and using some other method, rather than the thing that is straight forward, and can be done while recharging the phone?  Shouldn't the software work?  Shouldn't it work under a variety of common conditions that Outlook might have, like multiple calendars (pick one!), Outlook connector, running RIM's own MDaemon?

Not sure what an MDaemon you are referring to, but the software does work as long as one conforms to the limitations it has (as all software must have). It is compatible with these PC apps:

• KB12268Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows for synchronization

As long as one conforms to the limits, it can work. Is it perfect? Of course not...nothing designed and built by humans is. Would it be better if it worked differently? That's a whole separate discussion...on these forums, we focus on helping folks get things working within the limits that exist.

rxensen wrote:

I have the same exact problem with the checkboxes clearing after a "successful" configuration on the office computer I have that runs MDeamon.

I sure wish I knew what you meant by that...

rxensen wrote:

And I do NOT want to have a data plan in order to sync with my office computer.

You don't have to. In fact, in most cases, you can't! The data plan is for the OTA (sorry...Over The Air) delivery of email...other data (contacts, calendar, etc.) can only come OTA in a very few special cases.

rxensen wrote:

The Blackberry syncs fine with my home laptop & desktop.  I tried the fix suggested above (along with several others I have seen), but it didn't work, though I have two nice data files that "explain the failures". 

I'm sure there's more that we could try...but...

rxensen wrote:

The question is, should I be switching to a different smart phone?

I guess you are not interested in fixing it all. But, only you can answer your final question...

Good luck!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi folks,

Mdaemon is a mail server product we've worked with for years. They we're bought by RIM not long ago and now they've got an excellent altermative to MS Exchange which is far easier to manage and now very well suited to the mobile world, particularly Blackberrys.  Take a look at http://www.altn.com/Products/MDaemon-Email-Server-Windows/ or if in the uk www.mdaemon.co.uk it has solved the problem with the manual USB Sync up which clearly doesn't work well with Outlook/Mdeamon but does OTA with Mdeamon.  Drop me a line if you have any questions.  Hope this clears up a few questions...!

Ta

Brendan 

New Contributor

www.mdeamon.co.uk  - the previous post link doesn't appear to work !

New Contributor

Thanks for the information on the BIS and IMHO.  If we get to tLOL will it be "laughing out loud" or "lots of luck"?  I am ready to fix it, its just what do I do if we fail? 

My three computers are where the elements of my life come together, and it is really much nicer if they all can talk (sync).  As the message from elliptical indicated, MDaemon is an email handler for outlook and also stores calendars, other files (old emails & history), contact lists, etc.  My amazement is that RIM would not sync well with outlook connector/MDaemon when RIM owns Mdaemon. 

I suspect the issue is with the configuration of the office computer, since it is the one with MDaemon on it, and it has multiple calendars and contact lists.  The two computers that sync with the BB only have single calendars and contact lists, etc. and do not have MDaemon.

Thank you for any help you can suggest.

Ralph

New Contributor

My office computer is using 32 bit Outlook 2010.  It appears from elliptical's post that the combination of Outlook and MDaemon does not work well over USB, but does sync well OTA?  Did I read that right?