Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8830

Intellisync "unknown error"

Hi everyone.

I have a verizon wireless 8830. I run Blackberyy Desktop Manager v4.3 on a desktop that runs 32 bit window vista ultimate.

I also have Blackberry Desktop Manager running on a laptop running 64 bit vista ultimate, & it worked until I updated to vista SP1.

Now the phone is recognized but Intellisync reports "unknown error" before it can complete the update between the laptop and the phone. Can anyone help? Thanks.   

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Intellisync "unknown error"

PIM item does it fail on? Address Book, Calendar, Memos or Tasks?

Try synchronizing them one at a time to see what one causes the error.

From there you may need to look at logs, or have someone look at the logs to find the offending item.

Regular Contributor

Re: Intellisync "unknown error"

Likely your Synchronization Data is corrupt.

- Leave your BlackBerry unplugged

- Open Desktop Manager, click on Synchronize.

- Click on Configuration Tab, then click Reset Configuration

- Close the Desktop Manager, then reopen.

- connect the BlackBerry.

- You may get a message "No applications configured for synchronization..."  Click OK.

- Resetup your sync information with Outlook 

If you get the same error, completely uninstall then reinstall the Desktop Manager.   Likely installing SP1 corrupted a file somewhere. 

New Contributor

Re: Determining the root configuration name for main & Intellisync "unknown error"

Hi, Ben.

I have a similar issue. When I try to synch. or even configure the synch, Desktop Manager creates a message with a status bar that says "Determining the root configuration name for main." After about 5 seconds or so an error message appears, which is Intellisync 'unknown error.'

I tried your instructions for resetting the configuration, but I still receive this error. I have also done a complete clean install of the BB software on my desktop, and this doesn't seem to help. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Tom 

Regular Contributor

Re: Determining the root configuration name for main & Intellisync "unknown error"

What version of Desktop Manager and Windows?  That sounds more like a full software issue, and a complete uninstall + download of latest version of the Desktop Manager.
Contributor

Close down the blackberry desktop manager completely. Try deleting the folder with your PIN only (NOT the .cfg file) under: c:\documents and settings\username\application data\research in motion. Start DM again and see if it works.
~John
New Contributor

Thanks for the response. The only place I saw my PIN was in c:\documents and settings\username\application data\research in motion\loader history. So I deleted the Loader History folder and restarted DM. No dice. I get the same error.

BEN -- It's Windows XP SP2, and I'm using  Desktop Manager v. 4.3.0.17. I have already done a complete & clean uninstall of all BB software and directories on my system. This version of the software was a new download from the BB site.

I previously used the same version, and had been for several months, until I suddenly started receiving this error last week or so.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Thanks, in advance. 

Regular Contributor

Try this instead:

c:\documents and settings\username\application data\research in motion\blackberry\intellisync

Rename the Intellisync folder to IntellisyncOld.

Open Desktop Manager, and try setting up your sync again. 

New Contributor

Success! That worked!  Thanks a ton, Ben!

Thomas 

New Contributor

OK, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm running XP Professional and there is no /application data/ subdirectory under any of the username subdirectoryies, and I don't know where to find the application data files. [as you may guess, I grew up on DOS and have never liked Windows]