Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry curve 9300
My Carrier: Cellc
Accepted Solution

Interference from another device in bbm

Hi, a while back, my blackberry curve 9300 was stolen. I then had the phone blacklisten via my service provider, and had my device wiped using blackberry protect. I also bought a new blackberry curve 9300, and restored all my details from my old blackberry id. Everything worked well until about a month after my old phone was stolen. Everything was fine except, I now have interference im my bbm. My profile picture is often changed and I receive contacts without confirming them. After some days of dealing with technical support I was told that the phone needs to be blacklisted with blackberry as well as my service provider. I was also told that this process was has never been done before, and the chance of getting it performed with my phone was not very high. The reason for this was that the technical support had to post a request to blackberry to blacklist the bb id, via email.

I don't know if the person using my stolen old phone can read my messages, or see my contacts, but either way I feel as though my privacy has been violated and no longer feel safe using bbm.

Is there anything that I can do? Maybe delete my blackberry id and reregister using the same email?

Many thanks,

Peter

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Interference from another device in bbm

Hi Peter,

BlackBerry phones have unique PIN numbers hence even if someone changes the BBM avatar in old phone won't effect yours. Blacklist a phone will help stop usage of that phone with your mobile service provider or within your country. But it may work in other country where the blacklisted database is different.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Hi Tanzim,

Thanks for the comment. I am aware that the pin is unique to each phone, but from what I was told by the technical support from the service provider is that blacklisting only stops normal calling or sms usage, but not internet usage, and therefore the pin can still be used for apps like bbm. Now my old phone's pin, the one that was stolen, as well as the new one are both registered under the same bb id, and it seems that it is because of this that there is this interference. I did create a new bb id, which did solve the problem, but it is a nuisance since it means I now have an email address that I don't use except for the purpose of the new bb id.

Many thanks,
Peter

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Hi,

Consider changing you BBID user name -

• KB28060 How to change or update a BlackBerry ID username on the BlackBerry ID website
  • KB32514 How to change or update a BlackBerry ID username on a BlackBerry smartphone

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi,

Although this doesn't seem to stop the other person using my old phone, I can now use my old email address for my new bbid, and forget about the new email account that I had to create.

Many thanks for your help Tanzim, it is very much appreciated.

Peter