Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

International SIM card

Hi,

I just got a Bold yesterday and am very happy with the BBM service. I found that many of my friends are actually on it, which means I get to message them via bbm instead of SMS.

Anyway, I am travelling abroad soon and I was wondering if if I put another SIM card (local to that country), providing that I have blackberry service on that SIM card (which I will) and unlocked my Bold (which I have), would I be able to use my BB as if it was here. I'm talking about the BBM stuff. Will I still be able to use it as if I was in the states?

I don't know if I am making sense. Any help would be appreciated. I am leaving in a few days, so it would be great if I could get an answer before then.

Thanks

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: International SIM card

Ok, my experience, for my job i am traveling for South America and Caribbean, and i have my data plan with Tmobile, so each time i travel, i call Tmobile and for 30 dollars month they are bring me data roaming (only mails and blackberry messenger) in other countries, check the rates with your Carrier.

The problem with you are thinking is this, if you have a data plan with a carrier, the device is registeres with the carrier, so when you are in another country and put another sim card, the device is registered with your original carrier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Contributor

So does that mean I have to UN-register my BB from my carrier here and then re-register it over there? I will be there for about a month, and I don't usually use my US SIM card internationally at all because of ridiculous international fees. Other countries' carriers offer much better plans for international travels, so I use them.

Thanks again

Forums Veteran III

Yes i know, here is what i do each time, for example if i am going to Honduras, i have a Prepaid sim card in honduras and i transfer my phone to the prepaid sim card in Honduras, so all my calls here in USA are going to the phone in Honduras.

There are a lo t of companys doing the job, of course , you need the blackberry and another phone, and the long distance charges are lessssssssss than roaming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor

I don't understand what you meant by "transfer". Are you doing number forwarding? Did you unregister and reregister with the Honduras provider?

Thanks

Forums Veteran III

Yes i am forwarding the calls to one prepaid sim card in another countries.

No, i use two phones, the blackberry with the calls forwarded and another cellular phone

Contributor

Ok, let me make sure I'm understanding you right. You forward your calls to a Honduras SIM card which is inserted into your BB phone? You also have another regular phone? My question is does our BIS work in Honduras with a Honduras simcard?
Forums Veteran III

Ok, let me make sure I'm understanding you right.

You forward your calls to a Honduras SIM card which is inserted into your BB phone? NOOO, i am forwarding the calls to a sim card inserted in the second phone.

I dont change the sim card in the blackberry, i add the international data package to my blackberry for 30 dollars month each time i am out of the country.

My question is does our BIS work in Honduras with a Honduras simcard?

If you are making the same like me, your Bis works like here in USA

if you need more information, post it.

Contributor

Alright I understand what you are doing, but here's what I want to do:

I want to NOT use my AT&T sim card at all.  I have an Indonesian SIM Card that I always carry around everywhere because it is much cheaper for international roaming than any US providers. Now as soon as I board the plane, I want to put that SIM Card in my BB. I want to then be able to use my BIS like I can right now (contact people via BBM, receive emails etc).

My question is: do I have to un register it with AT&T and reregister with the Indonesian provider?

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Forums Veteran III

Yes, but first of all, if you get the Bold in ATT, is locked.