Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8520
My Carrier: China Unicom
Accepted Solution

Internet Connection

Hi there, I have a blackberry 8520

I live in China and I am using China unicom as a srvice provider...

I have gprs/edge setup and it is always in lowercase "edge" "gprs"

Often the phone just loses its internet connection but the edge/gprs is still visible in the upper right hand corner.

I have to do a battery pull and when it reboots the internet works again!

Is there an easier way of re establishing my connection? i have tried turing the mobile connection on and off but no result... only battery pull works.

Any suggestions?

Thank you Smiley Happy

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Priv
My Carrier: Three UK

Re: Internet Connection

If your phone shows gprs and edge in lower case then it sounds as if your phone is not properly provisioned. Do you have a blackberry data plan rather than a standard carrier data plan? 

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8520
My Carrier: China Unicom

Re: Internet Connection

I litrally just inserted my sim card and it was showing "GSM" so i bought a data bundle which changed it to gprs/edge. Getting BIS here is a whole different story haha Smiley Happy I set my APN settings to the correct ones but it still does its own thing if i lose signal. Downloaded quick pull Smiley Happy better than taking off the cover each time ahahha! ill take it in to the shop some time! thanks for the help!
New Contributor
My Device: sprint bold 9930
My Carrier: sprint

Re: Internet Connection/ lowercase edge!! please help

I have a Sprint 9930 in China with a China Mobile sim. I am only getting lower case edge and the carrier says the phone is the issue. Sim in different bb works. Tried changing apn but didn't help. 
will a new os help?
Any other ideas??
I just saw something about service books. Are there any available for China Mobile or will the os help it?"