Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon/Numericable

Internet and email don't work! Unlocked Verizon Bold 9650 with French SIM card

I am in DESPERATE need of your help! Neither Verizon nor Numericable, my provider in France, seem to be able to offer any tech support beyond telling me to pull the battery, toggle connections on and off, etc. I'll be extremely grateful for anything you guys could offer by way of advice!

I am not a techie by any stretch of the imagination, so I probably won't understand any jargon or acronyms you use in your replies, and will similarly need more detailed instructions on how to access things within my device (e.g., "just go to the host routing table!" won't mean anything to me).

The lowdown:

1. I have a Verizon branded Bold 9650. I have unlocked it so that it is able to make/receive phone calls and texts by having Verizon provide me with the MEP code.

2. I have an unlimited data and Blackberry internet plan with Numericable, who contracts their 3G service through Bouygues. I am 100% sure of my plan, but whenever I try to open my browser, it tells me that "Browsing over the cellular network is not included as part of your current service plan. To browse the web you must use Wifi or contact your service provider to change your service plan".

3. I plan to crosspost this on the Blackberry France forums and the Crackberry forums. I hope this isn't bad manners, but I just want to get this resolved as soon as possible.

4. I have browsed other solutions but a lot of them seem to require a Windows computer to connect the Blackberry to. I unfortunately only have a Mac.

5. I've been waiting for over a week for something to change - Numericable at first told me that 'it takes 5 days to register on the network' and then to await a call from tech support that never came.

6. I would ideally like to be able to use this phone whenever I go back to the States in 7 months, so I don't want to mod it in an way that makes it permanently unusable on the Verizon network.

If you need any other information, please don't hesitate to let me know, and thanks so much in advance for your help!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Internet and email don't work! Unlocked Verizon Bold 9650 with French SIM card

Different carriers worldwide use different frequencies for their phones. For example, just because BlackBerry Model 'X' works on one carrier's network, it doesn't mean it will work on another carrier's, even thought Carrier 'B' offers that same model on their network as Carrier 'A'. You'll want to check with your current carrier abroad to see what frequencies they use. In addition, North American carriers and European carriers generally use different technologies to transmit their signals so I'm surprised you can get anywhere at all with your phone. I'm not sure if that helps or not but atleast it's a starting point. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Internet and email don't work! Unlocked Verizon Bold 9650 with French SIM card

The 9650 is a quad band phone and will work on the Bouygues network.

Look at your Options > Advanced > Host Routing Table. Are there any entries there?

What about at Options > Advanced > Service Books... anything?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for your response! Could you please specify what you mean by "what frequencies they use"? I don't know if this will help to figure out what frequencies I am using, but as I said, I am able to make calls/receive texts with the French SIM card. Also, I still have data services activated on my Verizon/Vodafone SIM card and am able to access the internet and my email just fine whenever I have that card in.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the double post! I didn't see your response, JSanders.

Under Host Routing Table, there is nothing. Just about 30 minutes ago while browsing other threads, I tried selecting Register Now and got a popup that said "Registration message sent!" but nothing seemed to change.

Under Service Books, there are about 25 entries, beginning with "Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser [BrowserConfig]" and ending with "BBFS1 [BBIMConfig]". A lot of them look as though they are related to my different email accounts.

EDIT: I also just now tried going to http://www.bouyguestelecom.blackberry.com/ and entering my PIN and IMEI, but it told me that "This BlackBerry® device is not registered with your wireless service provider". That sounds... bad.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930

Adrienne, 

Did you ever fix this problem?  I am facing the same problem with a used Bold 9930 from Verizon (my own phone, unlocked while I was using it on verizon.  I have upgraded since, but kept the phone for future use overseas).  When I used th phone in the past with local sim cards I was told that the internet service did not work because it was tied to my Verizon service.  But I assumed that would end when I upgraded the phone.  Apparently it has not, since I am getting the same message now that I've tried to use it on Proximus (Belgian provider).  If you found a solution to this, please share with me so I can also fix mine.  Verizon does not seem to know why I am not able to use the phone since it is past their contract with them, and each time I "wipe" I still get the "welcome to verizon" email and my verizon phone displays as the phone number for the BB.  However, I am able to receive and send calls and texts using the Belgian number!

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

ThreeP, do you also have the BIS BlackBerry data plan with your Belgian provider? You must.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code