Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

rus
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

Internet using WiFi possible without Mobile Provider?

I have a Blackberry Bold 9650 with no Mobile Provider (it previously had Verizon).  Is it possible to use the Internet on the Bold 9650 by connecting to my home WiFi, or is that only possible if the phone has active Mobile Provider service? I am able to use the Internet on my iOS and Android phones using WiFi with no Mobile Provider, but I'm getting the impression that it's impossible on the Bold 9650.  I do successfully connect to my home WiFi, but I get no Internet service on the phone.  I also want to upgrade the OS from 5 to 6, but does the BlackBerry Desktop Software say the upgrade is not available because I have no Mobile Provider?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Internet using WiFi possible without Mobile Provider?

Yes, you can use wifi on the device for browsing and some apps will work with wifi only i.e. Facebook, Twitter, BB World. Email and other BB services like BBM and BB Protect will not work without a data plan from your service provider.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
rus
New Contributor

Any suggestions on why I have no Internet, in spite of connecting to my home WiFi?  When I go to Browser, then try to go to a Website, I get "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later.  If the problem persists please contact your service provider."  My WiFi SSID shows at the top center of the phone, and I get a black and white WiFi icon at the top right of the phone.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

You can't upgrade the device to OS 6 because OS6 doesn't exist for the 9650.

As for the browser issue, it's been a while since I used OS5 but I believe you can go into the Options (might be under Advanced Options) and set the default browser to hotspot browser. Sorry, I don't recall the exact menu location but it should be in the main device options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
rus
New Contributor

What about this URL which tells me to upgrade to OS 6?  http://us.blackberry.com/support/smartphones/blackberry-bold-9650/os5.html  Hotspot Browser is selected as the only option, and when I launch Brower, it shows as Hotspot Browser.

Guru II

I stand corrected.  I guess there is OS6 for the 9650.  Without a data plan it's a little more involved to update it, though.  You would need to wipe the device completely and then reload that OS from scratch. 

You would need to find a carrier that offers the upgrade for download.  Here are instructions.

1. First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

2. It doesn't hurt to do a manual backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry. You can get BlackBerry Desktop Software here http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

3. Download the OS file from step 1 to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Also check the following locations for vendor.xml files and delete any instances of the file:

On Windows Vista/7 navigate to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

On Windows XP navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

5. Use BBSAK from BBSAK.org and wipe the device (after doing a complete backup) then after you get the error 507 (no OS installed) then proceed to next step.

6. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

rus
New Contributor

Worked perfectly!  Once I got the new OS on there, I was able to seamlessly connect to WiFi duing Setup, get the WiFi icon, and connect to the Internet.  Just one thing about your method that could cause confusion, it's Program Files (x86) on a 64-bit OS PC, not just Program Files.