Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 8110

Introducing the BlackBerry® Curve™ 8530 Smartphone

BlackBerry® Curve™ 8530 Smartphone

Product Overview

The BlackBerry® Curve™ 8530 smartphone is the latest smartphone in the Research In Motion® (RIM®) portfolio. With a fresh, focused, feature set and simplified design, the BlackBerry Curve 8530 smartphone is designed to provide customers with an approachable, entry-point smartphone to help them manage both mobile communications and media needs. The BlackBerry Curve 8530 smartphone is designed to help mobile individuals stay connected to their social networks. It provides an enhanced media experience along with the benefits of best-in-class integrated messaging and data services.

Features

• Dedicated media keys for quick and easy access to the media player and control of available music
  • Precise and responsive trackpad to move through information
  • Slim, simplified design, featuring a full QWERTY keyboard
  • High resolution 320 x 240 pixel color display
  • 2-megapixel digital camera with fixed focus and 5X digital zoom
  • Video camera featuring Normal mode (320 x 240) or MMS mode (176 x 144)

• Note: BlackBerry smartphone users require a microSD card to use the video camera feature
  • 256 MB of flash memory (256 MB RAM), and is designed to support a hot-swappable microSD card with up to 32 GB of memory
  • GPS: Supports location-based applications, such as BlackBerry® Maps, to use the current location of the BlackBerry smartphone to provide directions
  • Wi-Fi® technology (802.11b/g enabled)
  • 1150 mAhr removable and rechargeable cryptographic Lithium cell battery
  • Support for Bluetooth® technology, including Bluetooth enabled stereo headphones, speakers, car kits, or home stereo systems
  • Dual-band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA2000® 1X with EVDO networks

My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry® Curve™ 8530 Smartphone: Personalization Setting Question

I just switched from a 8330 Curve to the new 8530 Curve.  Is it still possible to customize the main screen to display your name & phone (previously pulled from the Owners folder, I believe on the 8330) on the desktop screen of the new 8530 Curve or was that functionality removed?

Thanks,

Evel

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Introducing the BlackBerry® Curve™ 8530 Smartphone

There is a design/construction flaw on the LED display. The round circular hole is a few milimeters off thus causing the LED to not illumnate as clear/bright as it should. If I tilt the phone right and look at the LED hole, it is much brighter than what is being displayed. Would also like to add this is my second Curve 8530 with the same issue. I have also noticed a posting on this make/model reviews page on Verizonwireless.com. Overall from a cosmetic appearance and feel perspective, this is a downgrade from the Curve 8330. A design/construction flaw like this should be remedied. Lastly, two more points to note, the battery cover has no button to release it (just a plastic snap in/out) and why the removal of the camera flash ? I have been a loyal Blackberry user since the Pearl and then loved the Curve 8330 but the construction flaw on the led and flimsy battery cover together with the decision to remove the flash concerns me. RIM should take immediate corrective actions.

My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

What phone is better the Tour or the 8530?? I know the Tour has a better camera & screen but it doesn't play videos from the internet.

Josh

My Device: Not Specified

I agree with comments made about the LED indicator on the Curve 8530.  It just looks like a mistake.  The LED is located to the right of the round window it is intended to shine through.  In daylight, when viewed from the right side, it can hardly be seen.  It is much brighter when viewed from the left side.

The processor, memory and software upgrades are great improvements, giving much faster performance.  The addition of wi-fi is a big plus.  The exterior of the phone, however, is a much cheaper build than the Curve 8330 it replaces.  

In my opinion, the battery cover is the biggest disappointment.  It makes the phone feel poorly constructed.  Out of the box, the battery cover is loose, moving slightly in all directions.  It sometimes makes a creaking noise when you use the keyboard, as the act of typing causes you to "squeeze" the phone, putting pressure on the battery cover which rubs against the phone body as it bends and moves around.  There is no foam under the battery cover to cushion/isolate it and keep it snug.  The snap-fit plastic clip will wear each time the cover is removed, exaggerating the loose fit of the cover over time.  With a lot of wear, it could fail to hold the cover on the phone, or weaken and break off when pressed onto the phone.  You have to pry the battery cover off on the 8530, compared to 8330 which has a release latch. Removing the cover tend to scar, or dent the edge of the battery cover as the prying action pushes against the plastic material.

The thin plastic film covering the screen and first row of keys beside the touchpad appears unsecured along the bottom edge, and seems like it could snag on something and get bent upward away from the phone surface.

Compared to the Curve 8330, the bottom row of keys is much smaller, making the use of the qwerty keyboard more difficult.

The touchpad seems to work very well, and is just as functional as a trackball.  Is is not difficult to adjust to the touchpad if you are a trackball user.  The touchpad doesn't light up, however, and this can make use in low lighting difficult compared to an illuminated trackball.

I like the performance improvements of the phone, but my older 8330 is a much higher quality phone in the hand.  I am considering returning to my Curve 8330 and waiting for the Tour 9650 to get a similar feature set in a better quality build.

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

I have the blackberry curve 8530 and just recently did the updates required for it.  After updating it, my keyboord lock key disappeared.  I've looked in all of my folders and still can not find it.  How do I fix it?

My Device: blackberry curve 8530
My Carrier: verizon

hey, the keyboard lock is now a dedicated dual function key on the phone, with no need to set up...the downside: it wont turn on automatically.  If you hold the play/pause/mute button on the top of the phone for 2 seconds, it turns on....to turn it off, just push the same button.  thats the only way i have found it...actually kinda nice

My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

I noticed the same thing, but u have the same feature on the TOP of the handset. Look @ the top of the phone. And that's not the only thing u lost since doing that wireless update. U also no longer have an audible alert for your voice mail. You'll get an audible alert for everything but voice mail. I wonder why RIM did that??

Contributor
My Device: bb curve 8530
My Carrier: sprint

What I did was simply move the lock folder to the main screen and you can lock it simply there!Smiley Happy

My Device: curve 8530
My Carrier: sprint

ok so my 8530 wont turn on at all the pc wont recognize it because it wont turn on. i get a blinkin red light when plugged into the wall charger or pc. i tried pullin the battery for a few minutes and nothin. what can i do? the red light blinks twice pause for a second then blinks three times the pause for five seconds