Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Irresponsible Research in motion: Re: update times

After months of problems with T-Mobiles coverage, I tried to update my software today.  I started this at 10:00 AM today.  It is now 6:00, and I'm still uploading modules.  I called customer service and they explained I should have seen a warning that said it could take up to 2 hours or more to update the software.  What kinda **bleep** is that??????  "or more" means 7 hours?  I thought this was supposed to be a great phone for business, except now I've missed a day of work by having no phone.  TERRIBLE SERVICE.  How is it possible to  completely reinstall Windows 7 in half the time I can upload 360 modules on my phone??????  This is not only my problem either, there have been many posts since August with others having the same problem.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to speed this up, it would be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Irresponsible Research in motion: Re: update times

Yuck, I'd be frustrated too.

It doesn't take seven hours. I've done more than a couple hundred upgrades, never one lasted more than even an hour and half.  The length of time it takes does depend on several factors: Your internet connection speed, your on-device data, messages and if you are in BBMessenger Chat groups.

And I am assuming you are doing a Desktop Manager web-based update, where you plugged into DM and it said you had an update available? To me (and I don't work for RIM) I hate those updates, I see too many of them fail and I've begged that they put a disclaimer before the upgrade that you should perform your own manual device backup first. The upgrade you are doing will perform its own backup, but I've just seen too many times that it's lost or deleted if the entire process fails.

Now, that said, do you have a good backup of your device from using Desktop Manager? Yes, good.

No? Then do this on your PC now, while the upgrade is sitting there still working: search your entire PC for "*.ipd" and find the backup file made today. It should be named something like "LoaderBackup **today's date**.ipd"

Do you see it? If you do, MOVE that file to another folder on your PC or the PC desktop screen for safekeeping.

Then, once you are sure you have done so... cancel the backup, if you can press the cancel button.

If you cannot do so, unplug the USB cable and you should get a warning that the USB is disconnected and do you want to cancel, or something like that. Say yes.

Then, follow the instructions below to update and upgrade your device.

Close Desktop Manager and EXIT out of it on the PC.

Remove the battery of the device for a minute and replace. Will it reboot all the way? If not don't fear:

See the link below, for the download and simple installation instructions.

**Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below. So don't worry that the link below is from another service provider... no big deal.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=06997F04A7DB92466A2BAA6EBC8B872D

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

Post back if you need help, OR if the device appears not to connect.

After all is said and done, use Desktop Manager to Restore your data from the previous backup.

Details here:  http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

This sorry program finally finished at 10:33, then said the thing was terminated by user.  I could launch this stupid thing through a window right now.  This is most certainly my last Blackberry.

J, thanks for the advice.  I'll try it tomorrow.  I am using the desktop manager, Windows 7, and a cable internet connection.  I am backedup, I did it seperate from the one they did when I tried to do the software.  The problem started when I dropped 30-40 calls since yesterday ,and when I try and ride a wi-fi signal, the connection echoes or repeats, breaks up, then drops the call again.  I keep being told to update the software, but I don't have another day to waste on this.

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Doing what I offered above should take you an hour.

I am actually in the process of doing the EXACT (almost) same process right now on a 9550 (by my choice Smiley Happy )

And a tip. I'm a volunteer, I don't work for RIM. I like BlackBerrys. I enjoy helping people with them.

I despise bad attitudes. I know you're frustrated. But I'd rather not hear "sorry this" and "stupid that".

Deal?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code