Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Is AIM ever going to be updated and fixed?

Let's start by stating a fact: RIM is known for communication and social networking above all else when it comes to a BlackBerry.  SO the big question is this: RIM why do you state how AIM supports buddy icons and away messages when it's blatantly obvious it doesn't?  You keep updating the application, yet these "updates" show no new fixes or enhancements to actually make the application work as advertised.  In fact it's only getting worse.  AIM can never keep a connection alive long enough to be useful.  I mean come on before it disconnects you get an hour or two out of it.  Not to mention when it is connected you need to manually refresh the contact list to actually get your messages half the time.  The other half they show up with a LOT of lag.

Your MSN and Yahoo programs are pretty much perfect.  Both support icons as advertised and WORK as advertised.  Not to mention BOTH allow for CUSTOM away messages - all of this your version of AIM promises but does not deliver.  I'm really starting to wonder if RIM is ever going to fix the issue.  Look on Appworld for once at the reviews for the app.  There's a reason why it doesn't even have 2 stars and 99 percent of the comments state exactly what I am posting here.

I find it rather funny how Windows Mobile, the Side Kick, Symbian, etc all have awesome AIM applications.  Notice how I didn't even say iPhone?  aside from the fact it has all the native IM clients which work fully and are very comparable to their desktop counterparts.  Yet RIM still can't actually UPDATE THE APPLICATION?

This may seem like a small issue to some, but it's a major issue to others.  I for one bought a BlackBerry FOR COMMUNICATION THAT IS PROMISED and advertised!

I won't even get into the original Storm and it's plagues.  Or the OS which needs some major updating on the Storm2.  Or why RIM keeps releasing the same exact phone over and over with no real new options or features.

I pretty much know that no one from RIM will actually read this post.  But at least I can say I said my peace.  If it wasn't for the push mail the shiny new Google Nexus One would be on my desk instead.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Is AIM ever going to be updated and fixed?

mrspock2002 wrote:

Let's start by stating a fact: RIM is known for communication and social networking above all else when it comes to a BlackBerry.  SO the big question is this: RIM why do you state how AIM supports buddy icons and away messages when it's blatantly obvious it doesn't?  You keep updating the application, yet these "updates" show no new fixes or enhancements to actually make the application work as advertised.

hello,

I don't have all the answers but all Instant messengers get always updated at the same time. So when there is a new release for the facebook application, then AIM gets updated and WLM too, even when nothing changes.

Maybe one of the reasons why AIM is not loved as much as other instant messenging system is that it is dying ? Look at the july 2008 statistics : AIM is used nowhere except in the US.

http://billionsconnected.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/global_im_market_share_stats_july_08.pd...

I believe that 18 months later it is even worse.

mrspock2002 wrote:

I'm really starting to wonder if RIM is ever going to fix the issue.  Look on Appworld for once at the reviews for the app.  There's a reason why it doesn't even have 2 stars and 99 percent of the comments state exactly what I am posting here.

if I were you I would start considering using an AIM client other than the one provided by RIM. For example IM+.

mrspock2002 wrote:

I won't even get into the original Storm and it's plagues.  Or the OS which needs some major updating on the Storm2.  Or why RIM keeps releasing the same exact phone over and over with no real new options or features.

when did RIM release the same exact phone twice ?

mrspock2002 wrote:

If it wasn't for the push mail the shiny new Google Nexus One would be on my desk instead.

Are you aware that the GMail client for Android supports IDLE feature on IMAP meaning that you can have near realtime push-mail on an Android phone ?

And are you aware that the suppliers hotline are overwhelmed with angry customers that own a defective Nexus (I guess things will calm down after a few months like for the Palm Pré) ?

I'll just quote ZDNet UK about the NEXUS :

The Nexus One solves no new problems, answers no questions, fills no gaps, as most mobile phones do not, but the message had to be otherwise. That's dangerously at odds with how we think of the company, and how it thinks of itself.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/leader/0,1000002982,39971357,00.htm

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: