Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: None
My Carrier: Bharti Airtel

Is BB Bold 9780 still a reliable phone to buy?

[ Edited ]

I am planning to buy a new BB (this will be my first one).

As far as internet services are concerned my main priority is instant msging and NOT web browsing.

Attributes that matter to me the most are-

1. Awesome keyboard (which is much better in the Bold series)
2. Long battery life (since i am a chat freak i need it to keep itself alive atleast for 1 day)

As of now, the newest phones in the Bold series which operate on OS7 (9930, 9900, 9790) are touch n type phones but i dont want a touchscreen phone. Also they are beyond my budget (20K INR)

The phones boasting OS 7.1 in the Curve family are either low end phones (9220, 9320) or have a poor battery life (9360). And ofcourse the Curve family is best known for its clicky keyboard which i didnt like much.

So i came down to the best possible option i have i.e. BB Bold 9780 (as per my assessment)

I am also aware of the fact that i wont be able to upgrade my OS6 to OS 7 or higher (though there is a marginal difference between the two OSs). Is that an issue to be worried about?

Am i thinking along the right tangent? Pls advice.
Apart from that pls share your experience with BB 9780 as i am quite inclined towards buying it.

PS i am not interested in the Torch series.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Is BB Bold 9780 still a reliable phone to buy?

Hi redriot and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums!

Everyone will find there's a different BlackBerry® smartphone that suits them best.  You can compare any BlackBerry® smartphones at http://www.blackberry.com/compare   to determine which one is best for you!

Thanks!

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I would recommend the Bold 9780 any day of the year, given the criteria you've set out in your post.

One thing to keep in mind is that BB10 is just around the corner.  As soon as it hits the market, even the newer OS 7.1 is going to be "ancient history".  In the world of smartphones, a newer OS that is quicker and smoother than the previous one is always more desirable.  Given this fact, OS 6 would be even more behind the times.  Yes, it's a good OS, but everything around you is going to be "BB10 this" and "BB10 that".  If this does not bother you, by all means grab yourself a 9780, you won't be disappointed.

I hope my opinion has helped.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Visitor
My Device: n/a
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

As much as I wanted a blackberry device, I opt to look for any information if buying a BB 9780 will be a good choice considering that a lot of better smartphones today in terms of OS, apps and hardware are already in the market.

I would like to mention that my first smart phone is an android. This is also my first touch phone, and as much as like the features of the phone, I can't make myself get used to the touchscreen.

But what I admire about android is its just like a computer that is very open for anything you wanted to do with it.

But I also felt that physical keyboards is still the best way to make messages from a mobile device and blackberry devices surely made a reputation regarding this especially the Bold 9780. It was recommended to me by a fellow forum member in my country. Though I'm aware that blackberry doesn't have as much as apps and BBOS 10 is almost just around the corner but still I insist on getting one.

To redriot, and the other fellows that made their opinion regarding bold 9780, I found your opinions very helpful.

I hope that 9780 won't fail me when I already own one. Looking forward to it.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry bold 9700
My Carrier: vodafone

Hello, I have the blackberry bold 9700 which is basically the same as the 9780 but the one you're thinking about buying has a better camera and more memory, but that's the only difference! They both look the dead same.. This is by far the best phone I've had! Its amazing, the battery is outstanding (as long as you have gps turned off), I actually love this phone and I think its miles better than the new os 7 devices, if you get this phone you will not be dissapointed! I've had a blackberry curve 8520 before this phone and it was terrible, bold's are deffinatly the way forward, the key board is amazing :-) hope I've helped!

Ps if you need any questions answering I will do my best to help you.