Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9000 - Bold

Is it possible to clear the DNS Cache?

Hello all,

I was wondering if I was doing anything wrong in the following scenario and wanted some guidance.

I have a scenario where I change the A record of a specific host on my DNS server.  The DNS server runs on my Wireless Access Point and my BlackBerry Bold connects to this gateway through the Wireless connection.  The area where I have some difficulty is as follows:

I connect to the access point.  I am able to browse the Internet and use BlackBerry Messenger, so I know the connection is working.

To double check, I browse with my Mobile Network turned off.  Success here as well.

I then change my DNS entry in the gateway and clear my Bold's DNS Cache by using: Connections->WiFi Options->Menu->DNS Lookup->Clear DNS Cache.  I do a host lookup and the response reflects the new IP Address.

When I try to browse, however, my traffic does not route to the new address.  It still routes to the old one.  I have tried this with both Mobile Network On and Off.  The only workaround I have is to restart the device.  I am not too fond of doing that all the time, even with the convenience of the three-finger salute.  What I would like to do is find a way to clear the DNS Cache without having to restart.  I am contemplating on writing a small app to do this, but wanted to know if there was any other way I could do it first.

Thank you all for reading and especially for your advice.

Kind regards,

Sheran

Chirashi Security
Developer
My Device: 9000 9810

Re: Is it possible to clear the DNS Cache?

Joining your effort.

Also had the same problem on Bold 9000.

Hope someone will provide a deeper insight.

"Listen carefully, I shall say this only once"
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Any additional info here? I have a website that switched servers. Now, I'm getting a message that says I need to clear the dns cache. Can't figure out how to do that on the Torch.
Developer
My Device: 9000 9810

Nope. had no luck with it.

Has been a looong time since then Smiley Wink

"Listen carefully, I shall say this only once"