Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Is it possible to turn off the internet without turning off wifi?

I have the blackberry 9900 and want to turn off the network internet services without turning off the wifi function. My mobile carrier is vodafone and even when I am connected to wifi, my credit is being used up. How do I disable the internet function but still use wifi? When I try disabling data services, wifi doesnt connect at all

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Is it possible to turn off the internet without turning off wifi?

Hello, 

What OS level are you running on your BB?

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

At some point (in the 7.1 level, as I recall), the capability to turn off the carrier data network (by setting "Data Services" to "Off") yet leave WiFi "on" allowed BIS services to continue to function via WiFi, even though Services Status would report BIS as "Not Connected". Prior to then, turning "Data Services" to "Off" would shut down ALL BIS services, even if WiFi remained active.

So, if you are on an older OS, you may want to investigate upgrading so as to have advantage of this feature.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Mine is running on OS level 7

Im really new to this, and dont know much about sofware...

what will upgrading to OS 7.1 do? does it change anything on my phone?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Please re-read my last post, including the article I linked for you. Saying "OS7" is inadequate...OS levels are 4 octets, not just 1. The above-linked article tells you exactly how to find your specific OS level...and if that's 7.0.x.x, then this function is not available to you. If it's 7.1.x.x, then it might be available to you.

OS 7.1 adds several features, including HotSpot (carrier data plan dependent), this function you are asking about, and on some models (not yours) FM Radio. Interface-wise, it is not much different than 7.0, but adds some features and functions. You can read about it in the official blog that RIM released:

But, since we do not know the OS you already have, it's impossible to say much more.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................