Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: 9658

Is it possible to upgrade Bold 9900 from os7.1 to os10?

Hi, was just wondering if it would be possible to upgrade my Bold 9900 from os7.1 to os10?

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Is it possible to upgrade Bold 9900 from os7.1 to os10?

Hello Hanekor

OS 10 is a complete new platform specifically for BlackBerry 10 devices , you cannot Update your BlackBerry Bold 9900 with OS10 

Good luck.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9900
My Carrier: international

but why can't we? what is our fault? we have also paid for blackberry.
all other os like ios and android are using blackberry messenger for free and we have blackberry smartphones still we have to pay for ur services thats not fair... you should keep them free for old blacberry smartphones too.
Super Contributor
My Device: iPhone 5s
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

The 9900 was NEVER advertised that it would be able to run BB10.  RIM was always clear to everyone that only the new devices would be able to run their new OS.   Oh, and if you want a specific why for the 9900?  It doesn't have the processor, memory or storage it would need to run BB10/QNX.  

(and they also stranded everyone on PlayBook, but I digress).

Indications are that they're migrating from a handset business to a services business.  Current BB handsets have to pay for the BlackBerry service.  That's just the way it is. 

New Contributor

the question is why cant we use bbm over wifi?

Super Contributor
My Device: iPhone 5s
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

BBM does work over wifi, but you also need a cellular data plan.  That's also true with the other devices (though I've heard some reports of people getting it working over wifi-only devices).

So those customers are also paying their carriers for a data plan, just not a BlackBery one.  I know in several countries these are the same price - BB was pushing the carriers previously to make sure the BB plan wasn't more expensive than a regular data plan.  But it's the carriers that dictate that.

Understand the experience you have on BB is a lot more robust than what people are experiencing on iOS and Android. BB is able to ensure your messages are delivered - the other platforms don't have that level of integrity.

New Contributor

Sir, I respect ur answers.

I live in Pakistan here we cannot use bbm over wifi and we have to pay a minimum of $3.5 per month and on the other hand IOS and Android users dosen't need to pay anything for it. As you said our bbm is better in terms we can get ensured our messages are delivered but sir we are Blackberry users and they are not we have paid for blackberry smartphones they have'nt i myself paid $ 400 for blackberry 9900 still i have to pay a minimum of $3.5 for bbm and they are using it for free
do you think its fair with us? 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Fairness doesn't come into play...no one here in this user-to-user community can change the business model that exists. As it stands, BBM for pre-BB10 devices requires subscription, from the mobile service provider, to a BIS-level data plan that is adequate to activate BBM, at whatever fee that carrier charges. BlackBerry does not force the carriers to charge more for BIS...the carriers decide what they will charge for the services that they deliver to their customers.

But, all of that said, I agree that charging legacy BB users for a service that is now free to BB10, iOs, and Android users isn't fair...but, here in this forum, that fact is irrelevant, for no one here can do anything about it.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Carrier: smart communications

Actually we have an advantage with our bbm's in 9900. Subscribing to a bbm plan means we can use bbm with or without the internet connection or wifi. While on ios and android handsets, bbm only works if they have wifi. It's not really convenient. I think bbm's on lower handset or os is for those who are always on the go.
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

hello,
are new to the forum and recently got a bold 9900 used.
I do not have a data plan to blackberry but I already have a data plan from Vodafone. On the old nokia 6700 could access the internet and even connect Playbook to telephone and internet. I can not connect my phonne bold 9900 to playbook. I have 2 question:
1 why i have to pay 2 data plan for iinternet on phone?
2 is nokia 6700 better than bold 9900?
thank you