Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Is it unlocked?

I recently got my Storm. I went into Verizon and had them unlock it in preparation for a trip abroad. They said they did, but I am parronoid. I followed the instructions at

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_determine_if_my_BlackBerry_is_%22unlocked%22%3F

to check if it was indeed unlocked. I followed these steps:

1. On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card.

2. At that screen type MEPD (see note below) on your keyboard. A new menu will pop up.

However, on my screen it shows Network as being Active! Does this mean that Verizon did not properly unlock it? or is this suposed to work differentlyfor the storm?

Contributor

Re: Is it unlocked?

When they unlocked the phone it was only unlocked for overseas use in GSM mode. It is not however unlocked for CDMA or GSM in the US.
New Contributor

well that is good because that is what I wanted but is there any way to confirm that it works on other simcards inside the united states before i go over seas? I dont want to get over there and find out that it did not get unlocked properly
Contributor

Not if you are still in the US. Unfortunately you will have to wait until you get overseas, however once it is unlocked it will work. Be sure you get the support number of the provider you buy the SIM card from because all support is on them and VZW will not help.