Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: o2

Is my Blackberry Curve 8520 now a "VIRTUAL BRICK"

I've had my O2 BB curve for around 3 years, in that period I've been able to phone/text surf the web and send and receive gmail messages without a problem with a O2 text and web PAYG subscription.   Recently the phone has been very slow to load which has been improved several times by removing the battery (hard reset) but in the last couple of weeks we have not been able to access the internet, even though our home wifi is showing connected.

Having read about this problem online from many more BB victims and after doing all the soft solutions I decided it was time for a factory reset. So installed the BB manager software, backed up the phone and then carried out the reset. This changed a few things (not for the better) On the plus side I could get on the internet, but only by choosing the Hotspot browser option. Then the only way I could get to my gmail account was through the google start page, or by downloading via the BB APPs. However it no longer informs me when an email message arrives, also I have to push two buttons instead of one to send a txt message now.

Enough of that many of the posted solutions talk of needing a BB subscription or permission, so I contacted my O2 service provider, who said I couldn't have internet services because I'm on a standard plan, but was happy to upgrade me to a data plan for £5 per month. So why have I been paying for text and web all these years, or perhaps I've been in a coma and just dreamed all this.

The bottom line is that Blackberry has never been that good, and now compared to other mobiles they are bottom of the league so I guess its time to move on, never to return regardless.  So good bye Blackberry this is one Gooseberry who will get immense pleasure out of wielding the sledge hammer on this one.