Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Is the DesktopManager for Mac required for USB mass storage usage?

Ever since the very first day that I bought my Bold 9700 (November 2009), I have been unable to use the Bold 9700 mass storage mode on a Macintosh computer without first installing DesktopManager for Mac.  Without having DesktopManager for Mac installed, the Bold 9700 mass storage disk (media card) unmounts improperly and eventually damages the media card such that it needs to be completely reformatted to fix the damage. Once the DesktopManager for Mac is installed, the problem with improper / accidental unmounting of the disk (media card) is fixed and there is no longer any damage caused to the disk.  Is my device faulty?

I am looking into syncing alternatives, and DesktopManager for Mac cannot be installed for those third-party alternatives to work properly.

Thank you.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Is the DesktopManager for Mac required for USB mass storage usage?

I know Desktop Manager for Mac has an Eject button which unmounts the device- the option for Mass Storage Mode Support/Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected is within the Bold 9700 itself (Settings> Options> Memory) so if your use of other software causes formatting damage and formatting damage is what you want to avoid, unfortunately, avoiding those third party syncing programs will be your best bet toward that goal.

I apologize that this doesn't offer too much help.