Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900
My Carrier: b

Re: Wi-Fi without data plan works!

Sorry I have to ask you a very stupid question.. but what is data plan?

Is it right that you cant set up any email accounts?

Where can I check if my Blackberry has this data plan?

Thanks for a fast answer

Valérie

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

valpohl wrote:

Sorry I have to ask you a very stupid question.. but what is data plan?

Is it right that you cant set up any email accounts?

Where can I check if my Blackberry has this data plan?

Thanks for a fast answer

Valérie

you just have to call your carrrier hotline and ask for a BlackBerry data plan to receive emails & browse the web.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: SpeakOut

I really need help. I bought an unlocked phone from a retailer in the States. The original carrier was Verizon, but its been unlocked with a code (I checked the options>Sim card and did the whole MEPD procedure). The phone works on my sim card (the provider is Speak Out). But there's a mighty problem now. The browser icon on the menu list has disappeared, so I cannot continue with the procedure given on that site. Also, when I go to Advanced Options> Browser Configuration there are no options. None. The procedure says check wifi browser, but how do I do that when nothings available? Not even when I press the menu key.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: SpeakOut

Also, I don't have a data plan and i don't want one. I just want to use wifi from hotspots.

New Contributor
My Device: 8220
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

PPL, with WiFi you just will be able to use the browser in the hotSpot mode, applications and e-mail won't work, I don't know what is the big idea of having WiFi in a movil device if will work only for one of many apllications. That is really dumb. That's why I got rid of my blackberry, such a waste of money.

My Device: 8820
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi,

I use the BB 8820 and I get an error message "You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication. As a result, the Browser cannot retrieve any web pages. Please try again when you are in a different location, or contact your service provider if the problem persists" when I try to connect to the browser using Wi-Fi. I use AT&T provider and do not have a data plan.

My BB device has 
Default Browser Configuration : Internet Browser (I also have the option to select Hot spot Browser). I even tried using the Hot spot Browser.
Default MDS Browser Configuration : Internet Browser (No other options available)

I have the same problem as u have connecting to the browser.Set the default browser to "Hot spot Browser" and tried to access the browser. I got a msg "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider"

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

Sri.

My Device: BB9000
My Carrier: ATT

Atlast this worked thanks a lot for step by step approach. I use BB9000 and it works.

One tip that was not there on the steps but I did was desable APN after blanking all the values. ( May your step delete all means desable also). But that is the only additional clarification point I wanted let every one know.

This was very useful and helped me now browse using my BB

Thanks,

Vara

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 Smartphone
My Carrier: AT&T

before i go messing up my phone, does this apply to the blackberry torch? could some1 get me step by step instructions?