Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Orange/EE

Is this possible?

Would it be possible to access the Blackberry database lists without using the Blackberry desktop manager? Are there any methods at all to do this??

New Contributor

Cannot install the Desktop Manager!

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I'm trying to backup my memos from the MemoPad, and from what I''ve read the only way seems to be to download the desktop manager, sync the data and get the files that way. I've tried to download this and older versions several times and in the end I get the following message:

I've looked around for a while for a solution, and I haven't found one yet.

It would be optimal if i didn't have to download all this **bleep** for my memos, so if there are faster alternatives, please let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Is this possible?

Hello,

Well, that would depend on what you mean by "access"...there is a KB that lists all of the databases, but somehow I suspect that's not what you desire. Can you be more specific?

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi

I'm trying to retrieve all my memos before my phone goes in for repair. I could manually send all of them to myself via email, but that would take a while seeing as there's upwards of 200 of them. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to do that, but I want to know if theres a faster method.

Thanks!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Ah..ok...you want access to the data (from your BB) that resides on your computer as a result of a backup you conducted. As such, that file is indeed proprietary in format and intended solely as the source of restore to another BB. But, that's natively. With 3rd party PC apps, you can parse that file into human-readable format, and some I believe can even extract the data for you to use with other tools (e.g., Excel). Search in Google for either IPD or BBB reader (depending on the version of the Desktop Software you used to take the backup) and you should find selections that meet your need...and I'm 99% sure you can do what you need for free.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

No no, I want to get all my memos that are currently on my phone onto my computer. I'm not so worried about how to turn the memos into a more manageable form just yet, I want to get them off my phone first.

Hall of Famer III

OH...ok...then see my auto-sig section of each of my posts. In there is a link to backup instructions.

New Contributor

I've copied all the files available when I got it into Mass Storage Mode onto my computer, does this mean that a copy of all the memos are within these files now? How would I go about obtaining these files? Bear in mind that for whatever reason, I cannot install or use the Desktop Manager, it just doesn't work for me.

Hall of Famer III

See this:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

Everything contained in there is not available for Mass Storage Mode copying...everything in there is contained in the protected AppMemory space, that is not accessible to the user other than via the intended on-device app or via backup using the Desktop Software.

So, no...copying via Mass Storage Mode does nothing about protecting ones critical data, if it is contained within those databases.

You are going to have to figure out how to get the Desktop Software to work for you. I don't know what issues you are having with it, but perhaps the process in this thread might be useful:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Good luck!

New Contributor

I had made a post of my issues with the software eariler today: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Desktop-Software-for-PC/Cannot-install-the-Desktop-Manager/td...

That is the source of my problems, I've been looking around all day for solutions, alternatives, other ways around it, but none of it got me very far. That thread didn't get very much attention, so I tried again with this one. 

I'm gonna go try the stuff in the links you posted, thanks for your help!