Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8820
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Issue when trying to remove IT Policy

Hi guys-

I recently purchased a temporary BB from eBay, an 8820 to be exact. I'm having some difficulty removing the IT policy from it. I'm using a Mac and am using the command prompt method found on this site. However, everytime I do it, it tells me the password is incorrect and I am unable to reset it. I've tried changing the password on the BB and tried again, but no dice.

I really need to be able to use this phone, so if anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!

Regards

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Issue when trying to remove IT Policy

What version of the OS is on the 8820?  Also, what instructions are you using to remove the policy?

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

According to the BB desktop manager, it looks like OS 4.5.

I'm using http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14202 method 5.

Thanks for your responding!

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I've never tried this with the Mac but my guess is it's an issue with your password and how you're entering it. You're not using the < and > are you? I don't believe those should be used with your password. Also, if you are attempting to use numbers for your password remember that numbers only go in when holding the alt key so if you think you're entering "1 2 3 4" but you're not holding the alt key then you are really entering "w e r s"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

I first tried it without the < > keys but it didn't work, but when I tried it with them, it still didn't work.

And I'm pretty sure I've the the "key" thing down, I made sure that I'm pressing the correct keys. But thanks for your advice...

Guru II

"And I'm pretty sure I've the the "key" thing down..."

What does this mean? I've seen many people think they're entering numbers when they're really entering letters. Set a real easy password on the device like kkkk then do NOT use the arrow keys for the password in the terminal entry area.

Also make sure you're typing in ./bbdm then a space, then the -password, then a space, then the actual password with no arrows, then a space then resettofactory with two t's.

This should work if you have desktop manager 2.2 installed. Make sure it's closed and not running.

You have a supported OS version, you have the supported DM version so this has to come down to some issue with the password entry.

New Contributor

Actually, I just got it.

I changed the password while the BB was connected to the computer, and then did the command prompts again and it worked like a charm.

And by "key" thing, I meant keyboard. I've used a BB before I switched to an iPhone Smiley Wink 

Problem solved, thanks for all your help!!

Guru II

Glad its solved. And, for the record, I've seen very experienced BB users have issues with passwords using numbers so nothing can be taken for granted.

John

Contributor
My Device: 8700g

is it a must 4 1 2 have BESS 2 remove IT policies?

Guru II

No. Method 4 of the KB says the following:

Method 4

How to remove the IT policy using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1 on a Windows® based computer.

Warning: This procedure deletes all data on the BlackBerry smartphone. Back up the data before performing this procedure. For more information on how to back up data, see KB12487.

Connect your BlackBerry smartphone to BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1.
Click on Question mark ? symbol on the top right of the menu.
Select Support resources then Support tools.
Under Support tools select Reset to Factory Settings to remove the IT policy.

Alternatively, remove the IT policy using the loader.exe application included with BlackBerry® Desktop Software 4.7 to 6.1 on a Windows® based computer.

Important: This method can only be used on BlackBerry smartphones that are running BlackBerry® Device Software 4.3 to 7.1.

Note: When using BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.6 or earlier, the loader.exe application can be updated by going to www.blackberry.com/update and installing the software when prompted.

Note: When using BlackBerry Desktop Manager 6.1 to remove the IT Policy, please refer to KB27739.

Connect the smartphone to the computer.
From the Start menu, click Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

Note: When a computer running Windows Vista™ or Windows 7 is used, the user might need to right-click the Command Prompt application and choose Run as administrator.
Find the Apploader folder by typing cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader and then pressing ENTER.

Note: For computers using a 64-bit version of Windows, be sure to go all the way to the root, you can do this by typing cd\ type cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader.
Type loader.exe /resettofactory.
Type the BlackBerry smartphone password if prompted.