Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Pearl
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Issues W/ Content Protection after Facebook 1.7 install - LOST ALL E-Mail addresses?!

any solutions to this?

not all contacts have the "content protection" text

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900 (T-Mobile)
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Issues W/ Content Protection after Facebook 1.7 install - LOST ALL E-Mail addresses?!

[ Edited ]

Same issue here - saw it in 1.6 as well but w/ slightly different symptoms.

Device model: Curve 8900

Carrier: T-Mobile

Device OS:  4.6.1.231

Content Protection enabled/disabled: Enabled except phonebook (enforced)

Is there an IT Policy: Yes

I'd take it one step further - I cannot even access the contacts while the FB app is installed if the particular contact is sync'd w/ a Facebook profile. Once the app was uninstalled, only then could I open the contact, and then the "Content Protection" message was shown. Fortunately, most affected can be looked up via other means.

This causes a few things to happen:

• Composed emails will fail to send if an affected contact is included.
  • Custom ringtones and caller-ID association do not work for FB linked contacts (like when content protection is enabled for phonebook and the device is locked w/ an incoming call)
  • Contacts cannot be opened or edited if linked w/ a Facebook user.

I cannot speak to the extent of our corporate policy (large company, not able to view it). I can say that within the FB app options, that both Calendar and Contacts are greyed out and I'm unable to check them.

- Rick
--
Blackberry Curve 8900
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900 (T-Mobile)

[ Edited ]

Not that I enjoy replying to myself, but I may have found a work-around.

It seems that the contacts that were affected were once-upon-a-time linked with Facebook when contact sync was permitted. This was with an earlier version of facebook, before the BES policy took effect. I believe these may have even been contacts I manually associated w/ Facebook profiles when, once upon a time, this was permitted.

1. I went through every contact and identified the ones I could not open.
  2. Within my desktop email client (in my case, Entourage connecting w/ Exchange), I created a *new* contacts sub-folder called "Recreate" (you can call it FixMe or whatever you like).
  3. I then moved the affected contacts to that folder with my desktop client.
  4. Once the handheld sync'd the alternate contacts, I moved the contacts back to the original folder.

Initially this created some dupes on the Blackberry, but I found I was able to open these dupes. As I started to delete the bad dupe (original contact), it seems that the handheld finished syncing, removing the bad contacts. So far, so good!

My company's BES policy doesn't permit Facebook contact or calendar syncing, but in this case, I'm okay with it. Given the alternative, I'd rather have this and keep the FB App than not have the FB app at all and have horked email addresses.

Hopefully someone else can work out a "why", but it would seem that the blocking combined w/ a flag on the contact record = failure to access due to forced content protection.

- Rick
--
Blackberry Curve 8900
My Device: Bold 9700

Device model: 9700

Carrier: T-Mobile

Device OS:

Content Protection enabled/disabled: same problem happens when enabled or disabled

Is there an IT Policy:

My Device: Pearl 8130
My Carrier: Verizon/Alltel

I am having the same issue with my Pearl in regards to Facebook/my contacts/emails/phn numbers, etc. 

Should I wipe my handheld and then reinstall everything?  Would that help?

I have tried everything else. 

Verizon *Alltel takeover

version 4.5

Thanks for any help. 

Lauren

My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon

It is now Oct 2010 and I am having the same problems that have been listed here.  I have Curve 8330, Verizon, and any contact I have that is also on Facebook now has "Content Protection is Enabled" where their title, email and notes used to be.  Quite a pain as under my son's name I have his library card number, his locker combinations, and other info.  Now it's all gone.

So, a year later, has anyone found a way to resolve this?  I'd really like my information back.  This is all information that I put into my Blackberry, not information that FB put there.  I can't believe they're allowed to hide MY INFORMATION.

Please help.