Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Issues/bugs experienced

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I've been a BB user for many years, having started with the 7800, moving up to the 9000, and now to the Torch. So, in essence, I've watch BB's evolve from OS to OS (I'm sure not for as long as some of you!).

I'm very happy with the Torch so far. All of the speed issues people seemed to be having when it was launched were related to the earlier OS releases, as .246 is plenty quick for interface navigation.

I just wanted to outline some of the things I've noticed that either don't work as they should, still need some work in future OS releases, or have changed since older versions (without a real reason for the change). If anyone else wishes to confirm/comment on these issues, please feel free. I'm posting with good intentions, not to say "this OS is **bleep**, work harder." Smiley Happy

Bugs/problems:

- PDF attachment message: when opening a PDF attachment in an email, it works great, opens and views without issues. When choosing to "download attachment," I'm told that I'm attempting to download a file that "cannot be viewed on this device."

- PDFs within browser: I've had trouble downloading and opening PDFs in the browser. Some don't download, some cause hangs/freezes, some bring up a question mark in the middle of the page. You can try it with the "35mm Film Camera Accessories" PDF on http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/brochure/index.htm and let me know if you get the same results. I tried to capture the blank page and question mark but CaptureIt isn't capturing.

- Blue highlighting doesn't go away: Let's say I change my alerts profile by tapping the speaker icon on the home screen. After changing it, the icon stays highlighted (blue). Perhaps after 30 seconds or so it can revert to nothing so as to avoid accidental clicking/tapping the trackpad?

- BBM text delete: When writing a BBM message (that has not yet been sent), I used to be able to press the Back key to erase it. Now, if I press back, it takes me Back (as the key name would logically imply). So if I want to erase an entire message, I have to hold shift, highlight the message, and press Delete. Maybe this was overlooked or maybe it was changed on purpose. Either way it's counterproductive (even if it's logical re: the button's function) and should be changed back.

- Text message jump: Often when opening a newly received text message, I'm thrown into the middle of the SMS conversation. I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see the new message. I have my SMS chats set to the "bubble" style.

- Notifications don't stop: When notified of an email, for example, I have 3 vibrations (medium) and an audible alert. If I'm using the Torch and I'm notified of an email, I will navigate to the inbox and open it while the phone is still vibrating. On my Bold 9000, notifications would stop as soon as I pressed a key or moved the trackball. That doesn't seem to happen with the Torch.

Needs work:

- Off-screen menu clicking: I noticed that sometimes when I've opened a menu (in any application), scrolled down via touch-swipe, and then gone to use a button (back/trackpad), I accidentally touch the bottom edge of the screen. This selects the bottom half-visible menu item and I have to cancel and repeat the process all over again. I say just ignore clicks on the bottom border if a menu is open (you can't even read the bottom item, there's no reason anyone would click it purposely).

- Scrolling speed in messages application: In some instances (when BBM chats are open and visible in the message list), scrolling down/up the message list lacks fluidity and reacts choppily. For example, if I'm at the top of the list and drag down (to go higher up), the list should just bounce off the top. However, I only see 5-7 frames of the bounce animation, it's quite choppy. If I close the active BBM chats, the animation becomes much more fluid.

- Main theme needs customization options: Why do I need to have all 5 folders on my main screen? I'm talking about All, Frequent, Favorites, Downloads, and Media. Logically, if I frequently use something, I'll put it in my Favorites or at the top of my All screen. Same goes for Downloads. Others might have different habits, so I think it'd make sense to allow us to turn on/off some of these folders. Why should I have to swipe twice to try to find what I'm looking for? In a related matter, I absolutely love that I can choose to show 0/1/2/3 rows of icons on the home screen. Awesome feature!

- BBM convo scrolling: When I click "view recent history" in a BBM conversation (when history is being saved to the device), scrolling within the chat becomes quite slow/choppy (in the area of the recent history).

- Music playlist view: When playing music, I would appreciate if I could view the entire album/playlist as a list right there on the screen, rather than the album artwork and flipbook-style horizontal scrolling. For example, if I'm on Track 1 of an album and scroll to the right to try and find Track 11, I get a series of album covers that are all the exact same, and I have to wait until it slows down to see where I am. Something like the "View Album" screen (that lists the tracks) would be perfect!

- Missed calls in notification area: When I miss a call, it's placed in my notification area (the bar under the clock you can tap to get your upcoming calendar events, unread messages, etc.). However, even when I go into my phone log and view the call (making the missed call icon disappear), it stays in the notification list until I physically open it. Then when I open it, I don't get any new information (just says missed call, status: opened). Why do I need to do this for every call when I've already seen them in my call log (and it tells me who, what time, etc.)? This might be a bug, this might just be one of those features that should be changed.

Changed. Why?

- Device lock: I'm sure you've heard this before. It's too easy to hit the lock key accidentally while in a pocket, purse, or just holding the phone. A simple unlock button, sequence, slider, or anything similar would make so many people's lives 100x easier! Please consider implementing it!

- Calling who we want takes forever: With my keyboard-centric 'berries in the past, dialing was as simple as pressing the letter 'J', choosing 'John', and dialing mobile. Now, I have to press Send, make sure I'm on the Call Log tab, open the keyboard (digital or physical), then type J. That's 3 extra steps! Yes, I can also dial 'J' from the home screen, which proceeds to search all of my apps, contacts, music, messages, etc. and still doesn't bring up 'John' right there until I dial 'j-o'. Perhaps add a third option called "Contact List" in the "Launch by typing" menu after "Universal Search" and "Application Shortcuts"

- View Actual Size (of photo): This option proved invaluable to me when viewing photos, as I work in marketing and need to see proofs at 1:1 scale. It'd be REALLY nice to have this back, or at least make the zoom snap to the 1:1 level when pinching-to-zoom or clicking the trackpad.

- Browser type: I'm not sure if this is a webkit thing, but we can no longer specify the type of browser we're using (or rather, that the server we're accessing thinks we're using). On the 9000, I could choose Blackberry/Firefox/IE. Would be nice to have similar functionality (just Blackberry/Firefox is enough) because some websites force you onto their mobile sites without providing a link for the full site. And this awesome browser is meant for viewing full sites, isn't it? Smiley Happy

Thanks for your consideration RIM. We know all you developers are working hard to give the people what they need!

Device info

Carrier: Rogers

Model/OS: Torch v.246 (stock, not upgraded)

Apps and free space

File free: 290 MB (pulled battery a couple of hours ago)

Did a battery pull fix your issue? No.

Apps installed: Google Maps 4.4, PatternLock Lite (neither of which are running in the background)

Developer

Re: Issues/bugs experienced

Edit: Added a couple of new items.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

BBM text delete: When writing a BBM message (that has not yet been sent), I used to be able to press the Back key to erase it. Now, if I press back, it takes me Back (as the key name would logically imply). So if I want to erase an entire message, I have to hold shift, highlight the message, and press Delete. Maybe this was overlooked or maybe it was changed on purpose. Either way it's counterproductive (even if it's logical re: the button's function) and should be changed back.

I have seen many ways about how people would like to have this behavior changed.

You could also sign up on the Beta testing and give your opinions.

https://www.blackberry.com/beta/defaults/login/?cont=portals&act=index&item=

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer

Thanks, I submitted it via the Beta section. I've seen many people having these issues so I don't think it's just me Smiley Happy

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have seen a few features change over the years and you end up with two groups that either want it back to norm or keep the new. There is no way to make them all happy. Adding in an option will make them happier, but then what should the default be?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer

I agree with you completely when it comes to people asking for something to just change, hands down. However, I think that adding that option where it's possible, or where people really are divided 50-50 or 70-30 is better than forcing a majority or minority to use it one way only.

Just because something changes doesn't mean there was reason for it to change. Let's remember that the testing of Blackberry OS'es is typically done by people within the organization, technical people or those that use their 'berries in a certain way.

Then there are the developers, who are problem solvers and are often trying to make things easier, simpler, or better for the end user. However, having worked with many developers, I've seen that sometimes their way of thinking is different from the end user's.

Third, you've got the marketers and administrators who need to bring something "new and exciting" to market, which often means making changes and updating features. This can lead to changes being made without adequate consideration of their impact on actual productivity or the end user's experience.

I don't pretend to know how RIM goes about their design and development process. All I know is I've never heard a RIM employee reach out and say "we've heard about this from several users, we're going to change it" (or "the majority like it the way it is, we're going to leave it").

Flat out removing features is my biggest peeve when it comes to development cycles. Why did RIM remove the "view actual size" option for photos, or the list view when playing music files (replaced with cover flow)? There's no reason to think that users' opinions would be split over having these options there. All you're doing by removing something without updating it is removing something that someone, somewhere, was using, for no reason.

We can always find different ways of accomplishing the same thing. I don't mind changing the way I work sometimes if it satisfies the masses or if it's going to make me more productive in the longrun. But finding new, complicated ways of doing things I could do easily 2 years ago is a big no-no.

Developer

Can't edit, but here's a new inconsistency I noticed.

When viewing an email or text from the messages application, you can swipe left to go to the newer item. However, in a BBM conversation (entered from the BBM application), when you swipe left/right to go to the next/previous, the order is reversed. So a left swipe in BBM brings you to the older conversation, while a left swipe in Messages brings the newer item.