Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Issues with BB Curve 9300

I am writing to complain about the deterioration in functionality of my Blackberry Curve 9300 over an unacceptably short period of time. I am a UK user and our service provider is T-Mobile. I have been in possession of the phone for a year, and my issues are detailed below.

1. The phone often freezes whilst in the middle of a task, despite not being overloaded with already open applications, requiring me to reboot the phone by removing the battery.
2. The battery no longer lasts any longer than 8 hours, despite the fact that I am not a heavy user of applications and do not use the phone for extensive multi-tasking. I have done all that I should to preserve the life of the battery, and I find such a rapid deterioration in battery-life completely unacceptable; it no longer lasts until the evening.
3. The rubber covering on top of the phone has completely deteriorated to the point of breaking away entirely, leaving the phone incredibly difficult to lock and unlock. I have not done anything to cause such a deterioration except use the button to lock and unlock the phone.
4. The trackpad often scrolls up without any contact from myself, making the composition of coherent messages almost completely impossible and intensely frustrating. I have not dropped the phone or caused any scratches to the trackpad that would demonstrate that this is my fault, thus I can only assume that the trackpad is faulty.
5. Often the keyboard will input characters that are accented or completely unrecognisable, again making message composition an incredibly frustrating task. I am not sure what has happened to the phone to cause such a keyboard malfunction, but I believe something to be faulty.
I am very careful with my phone, I have not dropped it once in the year that I have been in possession of it and I am never careless with the phone. Given the extensive problems I have with the product, as detailed above, I can only assume that these issues similar to issues that I know other Blackberry users have suffered. I have approached T-Mobile about the problems above but was told that these issues were RIM's concern. Any help that you can provide me with in furthering this complaint would be much appreciated, as the phone is incredibly frustrating to use at this point in time.
Many thanks.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Issues with BB Curve 9300

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Just to set your expectation, this site is not a formal communication channel with RIM. Rather, this site is a user-to-user community. Nothing here is any part of any formal support.

But, for your issue, your original place of purchase is where your issue is to be raised. That is where you have a financial and contractual arrangement...you have none of that direct with RIM. RIM provides a 1-year manufacturers warranty, but those are serviced by the authorized resellers. So, if you are within that period, then you go see them for warranty evaluation and support. If you are out of warranty, then you still go see them and see what, if anything, they are willing to do for you.

I realize that TM told you to talk to RIM, but I wanted you to understand that, by posting here, you are not accomplishing that goal. Rather, the proper method for cases to receive formal attention from RIM is via escalation from the carriers and authorized resellers...they have a channel for such things, but end users do not (contractually, there can be no channel as the carriers and authorized resellers agree to provide primary support to their end users).

To bypass your carrier or authorized reseller, you either have to pay (look up Incident Support) or just contact RIM at their general contact pages on their main website (RIM.com).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9300
My Carrier: Cell C

I REALLY need to get this sorted!

I am also having issues with the phone! Since I updated my software 2 weeks ago my app world stopped working and now I cannot download it after deleting it. About a month ago when downloading mp3's it all of a sudden started having format issues even though the music is in the supported format. My photos that were taken with the camera turned to thumbnails that cannot be opened and that is why I decided to update the software in the first place. Since the new software update I now also have a java.lang.error when ever I reboot the phone. I'm frustrated! Anybody with tips as to how I can get these problems sorted please help! I have deleted all third party apps and the error persists.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: I REALLY need to get this sorted!

unpredictagirl wrote:

I am also having issues with the phone! Since I updated my software 2 weeks ago my app world stopped working and now I cannot download it after deleting it. About a month ago when downloading mp3's it all of a sudden started having format issues even though the music is in the supported format. My photos that were taken with the camera turned to thumbnails that cannot be opened and that is why I decided to update the software in the first place. Since the new software update I now also have a java.lang.error when ever I reboot the phone. I'm frustrated! Anybody with tips as to how I can get these problems sorted please help! I have deleted all third party apps and the error persists.

Hello,

You should probably do a clean OS reload

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi again,

Thanks for your help and time. Sorry for poly-posting but I am new to the community. I took your advice and reloaded the OS on my phone and it hasn't resolved the problem. I still get the uncaught exception: java.lang.error. I have a Dell optiplex 780 desktop that I use to do all updates etc. If you could kindly come back to me when you have a moment.

Kind Regards

Hall of Famer III

Well, you have several options now. The path I'm going to recommend is a bit of work for you, but is designed to try and root out the cause of the problem.

1) Reload your OS again, but this time keep it "bare minimum"...leave off all 3rd party apps and even RIM-provided add-ons. See if your symptoms clear up. Wait enough time to be sure that the symptom has not appeared. If symptoms to not re-appear, then slowly start adding apps again, leaving plenty of time between so as to be sure which one is the culprit. I typically recommend a week for these waiting periods...but I'm very conservative about this stuff.

2) If symptoms do appear, then reload a different OS package...it is completely possible that there is something wrong with the OS package you are using.

3) If things still fail, then download to your PC the BBSAK utility (bbsak.org), make sure you have a BB OS package installed to your PC, then use the BBSAK utility to actually WIPE your BB (BBSAK has a command for that), and then reload your OS again.

4) Try step 3 with various OS packages, again "bare bones"

The point here is to try and rule in/out a) additional apps (3rd party or add-ons) as causal and b) the OS itself as causal. If you rule out all software, OS, apps, etc. as causal, the only thing that will be left will be the BB itself...for which in-hand support from a qualified technician would be the required next step. If you remain in warranty, then you seek that from your original place of purchase.

Good luck!

New Contributor

Hi again! 

I took a bit of a shortcut and backed up my data with blackberry desktop software then immediately wiped the phone.

I then went back to blackberry desktop software and said "update" it then reloaded everything from the start(took about an hour) but was so worth it!!! After restoring my data again it works like a dream!!! The Java lang error is gone and everything is working perfectly!!! The BBSAK application is awesome! Thanks for all your great advice! Smiley Happy

Kind Regards

Hall of Famer III

You are most welcome...enjoy!