Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Issues with new OS 5.0.0.822 and desktop software upgrade?

I am curious as to how others have made out.  My BB 9000 Bold got updated to OS 5.0.0.822 on my phone and 6.0.0.40 for the Desktop software. I am with Rogers for my carrier.  I have had the Bold for about 18 months now and it has worked like a charm since day 1 ... until the OS / desktop upgrade. 

I had a Rogers technician (over web / live help) assist with an issue I had after the upgrade initially, which was that I could not send text messages ... could receive but not send.  The techie did a backup and restore but from what I can tell did a pretty "selective" restore ... so I am not sure what issues I have had might be remnants of his hosing things and being a toad in what he did, versus problems with the upgrade.  I have had since the upgrade:

- what seems like much shortened battery life, and when it gets low it goes quickly to zero.  I never had my phone die on my mid call before (and I use it a lot for business) but it has done so twice in ten days since the upgrade.

- the ringer stop working occasionally ... if I pull the battery it then goes back to normal ... but when it stops it means no ring / no message alert.

- email did not work initially (said the service was not installed ... might have been the techie not bothering to restore this ... not sure)

- text messaging ... like mentioned, this was the start of the issues ... could receive but not send (SMS California, like Hotel California?)

- many settings did not get carried over from the prior OS and the restore. Thing much of this was related to the bozo from Rogers that "helped" me but am not sure.

So ... what have others seen with the upgrade?  I have to say I am disappointed so far in the upgrade process from RIM.  Like the new OS and some of the things it introduced, but the upgrade was worse than many I have had on the tech side (phones / laptops / desktops / OS / etc.)  And Rogers will certainly not be getting any awards or recommendations from me ... a 15 minute session caused my I figure hours of work and frustration ...

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Issues with new OS 5.0.0.822 and desktop software upgrade?

[ Edited ]

mgtc wrote:

I am curious as to how others have made out.  My BB 9000 Bold got updated to OS 5.0.0.822 on my phone and 6.0.0.40 for the Desktop software. I am with Rogers for my carrier.  I have had the Bold for about 18 months now and it has worked like a charm since day 1 ... until the OS / desktop upgrade. 

I had a Rogers technician (over web / live help) assist with an issue I had after the upgrade initially, which was that I could not send text messages ... could receive but not send.  The techie did a backup and restore but from what I can tell did a pretty "selective" restore ... so I am not sure what issues I have had might be remnants of his hosing things and being a toad in what he did, versus problems with the upgrade.  I have had since the upgrade:

- what seems like much shortened battery life, and when it gets low it goes quickly to zero.  I never had my phone die on my mid call before (and I use it a lot for business) but it has done so twice in ten days since the upgrade.

OS 5 has more features and I'm not surprised that the battery life takes a hit.

- the ringer stop working occasionally ... if I pull the battery it then goes back to normal ... but when it stops it means no ring / no message alert.

This has been a reported issue by many who have upgraded to this version.  No fix that I'm aware of has been found

- email did not work initially (said the service was not installed ... might have been the techie not bothering to restore this ... not sure)

Resending service books should take care of this.

- text messaging ... like mentioned, this was the start of the issues ... could receive but not send (SMS California, like Hotel California?)

Not sure on this one. 

- many settings did not get carried over from the prior OS and the restore. Thing much of this was related to the bozo from Rogers that "helped" me but am not sure.

If a selective restore was done then you might notice data missing. However, OS 5 has many new features and changes and some things may not carry over.

So ... what have others seen with the upgrade?  I have to say I am disappointed so far in the upgrade process from RIM.  Like the new OS and some of the things it introduced, but the upgrade was worse than many I have had on the tech side (phones / laptops / desktops / OS / etc.)  And Rogers will certainly not be getting any awards or recommendations from me ... a 15 minute session caused my I figure hours of work and frustration ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

My phone and alarms stopped ringing, I re-installed the software numerous times. sounds appear to work for a short period of time and then start to fail again. I tried to back out to an earlier version but then it seemed that I lost a lot of data on my handheld, so reverted to trying to re-install the software again.

Appointments in Outlook 2007 were all suddenly deleted for no apparent reason during the second or third synch process - not sure which - very strange (but remained on the handheld)

Voice dialing is also not working correctly. It seems to almost hang upon selecting the application, then several minutes later says 'say a command'

I would like to know when a cleaner version of the upgrade will be available and I sure hope it is soon.

This is one of the most horrible disruptions I have experienced, and a great example of how poorly tested the software is before it is pushed out - I have to wonder where they outsourced the software development and testing to?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

If this was an upgraded puahed by your carrier to you then your carrier tested it. RIM develops, the carrier tests and releases.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: Curve 8520

The upgrade hasn't been pushed. RIM's download site for Rogers has been updated with this OS 5 version however Rogers tech support maintains that they do NOT support it.

If you check Rogers' download site it is OS 4.6 that is available, and according to them, until that changes it is officially unsupported. UNOFFICIALLY you can download it...which will likely result in the above-mentioned bugs.

As much as i too want the OS 5 update, i am holding off b/c it is NOT worth putting up with all of these bugs.

Hope that helps to understand the situation a bit Smiley Happy

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I've had a BB Bold 9000 with AT&T wireless for almost 2 years.  I love the phone and it has performed almost flawlessly.  The latest version approved by AT&T is 4.6.0.304.   It is best to check for and download updates using the smartphone itself by selecting Options, then Advanced Options, then Wireless Update.  You are asking for trouble if you acquire OS updates any other way.

Guru II

Frank, that is incorrect. In fact, doing the upgrade ota has the highest liklihood for rendering the device inoperative. Your statement that your asking for trouble if you acquire an update any other way iS false.

My Carrier: ATT

I too, updated my software and am experiencing trouble.  I now cannot sychronize my calendar, task, or contacts.  I followed the instructions exactly, but keep getting an error message when I try to configure settings under the Organizer section.  "Intellisync - Unknown error reported"  Very frustrated.  Appreciate any help. 

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I have a 8900 Curve with T-Mobile.  I have a problem in which sound/vibrate are disable and the only fix is pulling the blackberry.  Restoring doesn't seem to work anymore either under version 6 of the desktop manager.  Restore runs quickly and says it is complete but nothing is restored.

Guru II

That OS has been pulled by TMobile and RIM due to problems with profiles/sounds.  They are recommending downgrading back to OS 4.6 but I recommend only downgrading to a slightly older version of 5.0.  You can get it right here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8900-series-discussion-javelin/227412-os-8900-v5-0-0-1168-5-...

Just follow the instructions (exactly) in the first post of the thread.  The only difference if you're downgrading is that you need to make sure that any OS newer than the one above is removed from Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.  After you make sure that the above OS is installed to the computer and that any newer OS's are removed, make sure that the vendor.xml file is deleted as instructed and load the OS as per the instructions.  You won't even need Desktop Manager for the process.

Good luck!