Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

JPG image on Blackberry is not JPG actually?

Hi,

I'm trying to upload images from the Blackberry device to a web server and noticed that images taken with the camera are normal JPG images, but some images like the ones downloaded from email attachment or downloaded via "Download Images" menu option from the Media application->Pictures->Device memory screen ar NOT JPG.

Although the file extension for these images is JPG and the picture is being displayed normally on the device I have no success to display it on my PC - the format is not recognized.

A ZIPed sample here: http://82.77.126.3:9094/image.zip

Does anybody know what is this format? Can we convert it to something usefull and if so, how?

Many thanks.

Developer

Re: JPG image on Blackberry is not JPG actually?

In the forum i have somewhere read that the images are stored as png internally by device.

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
New Developer

[ Edited ]

Saw those posts, but it is not PNG. The PNG header has PNG in it, this one has RDI. I wonder what it stands for.

If you download the picture from the URL above you may take a closer look to the header.

Message Edited by cherta on 03-20-2009 09:57 AM
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

I believe it's a custom MIME type : "image/x-rdi". Maybe it's just a PNG image encapsulated into something for meta-datas (like a link to the URL of the real image for example).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: