Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: Verizon

JVM error 517

I am geting a JVM 517 error.  Verizon indicated I need to reload some software??  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: JVM error 517

Hi tpollack

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

Verizon said correct , you have to Relaod the OS to recover from this error , go through this Knowledge Base article and follow those suggestion to reload the OS :

KB30332 : "JVM Error 517" appears on the BlackBerry Bold 9900 smartphone

Try it and let us know.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

The problem I seem to have is the desktop program will not communicate with the device (because it does not fully boot up??)  it is stuck on the white screen with the error showing.

What to do next?

Thank you.

Elite II

Hi there ,

If your device had a problem in communicating with Desktop software then refer to this Knowledge Base and try those suggestion :

KB10144  : How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader

Please note , this method will delete data from withi that device . If you have a previous backup or using BlackBerry Protect then after reload you can restore your data from there.

Let us know of your progress.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I tried following the steps KB10144 with no luck.  At the bottom of KB10144, it tells me to try the steps in KB20371.  These steps did not work either.  At the bottom of KB20371, it tells me to try the steps in KB10144.  This process now is going in circles. 

I need connect a different Blackberry and everything communicated fine with that one so i know its not a problem with my computer or USB cable.

What next?

Elite II

Hi there ,

If above method didn't help or worked , then you have to try some other methods !

You can try this KB Article :

KB27956 : How to recover a BlackBerry smartphone from any state

Or follow those instructions :

( Credit JSanders )

1) Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed. BlackBerry desktop software

2) On your PC, go to Start > Run and copy and paste the following line exactly (meaning with the quotation marks):

"c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe" /nojvm

3) The Application Loader Wizard will appear -- click "Next."

4) In the "Connection:" drop-down menu, you should see "USB-PIN: UNKNOWN". Click the "Next" button.

5) You should then see a list of applications ready to be installed for your Blackberry. Hit Next and Finish and you are well on your way to getting your Blackberry back to life. Congrats! Just don't disconnect anything and let the lengthy process finish completely.

NOTE: If you do not see a list of applications mentioned in step 5 and instead see the message "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator," then you must download Blackberry's Operating System for your carrier and device.  BlackBerry Software Download Site

Just select the appropriate carrier and network type, select your Blackberry model from the list and download the latest version. Install this download and follow the above steps again and you should be on the right path.

New Contributor

WOW.  Finally it came back to life!  KM27956 seemed to be the steps I needed to take.

It slowing started communicating and eventually was back on line.  I have since set up my exchange and have all my contacts back.  And did not lose any photos on my camera.

Thanks for all the help.

Highlighted
Elite II

Hey tpollack

You are most welcome... I'm glad you finally made it !

Cheers!