Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Japanese Language support questions

I just got an 8120 from Rogers in canada and am curious if it has japanese language support. I cannot find any info in the junk manual from Rogers. The company I work for is a canadian subsidiary of a Japanese company so alot of my bosses email is in Japanese. I did a search through the forums and through the utterly useless support database. The results from searching the support database are mainly press postings without any usefull technical details which I find exceptionally retarded.

Out of curiousity does anyone know if a specific model has asian language support available preinstalled in canada? Perhaps a telus or bell phone. From the forum posts either people arent posting when they find a fix for the problem or else there isnt a fix for the lack of japanese language support.

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Japanese Language support questions

Download your current or updated device OS from Rogers software download site. Install it in your PC and use Application loader of your desktop manager to add Japanese Language Support.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Downloading the device installer from Rogers provides me with language options for semetic(which I believe is hebrew), russian, english, french, italian, german, spanish, brazilian portuguese, european portuguese, Catalan, Dutch, and turkish along with input support for Danish, swedish, Afrikaans, Greek, and Norwegian.

Zero options for Japanese.

So again I ask what do I have to do to add Japanese language support? Also the same question as before stands. Is there a specific model that supports Japanese out of the box?

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update. I have still not solved to problem however I have eliminated a potential solution. A co-worker of mine has the Telus 8130. We downloaded the device installer software from telus. It has even less language support than my rogers 8120. It has Semetic, russian, French, and spanish. Also zero japanese support.

In theory this means that some phones absolutely have more language support than others. I simply need to know which one has japanese support.

Anyone have any useful ideas or even perhaps someone has an email contact at RIM who could answer what I feel should be a simple question:

Which blackberry phone do I get (and from what carrier) in canada that supports Japanese?

Message Edited by tommyatomic on 07-23-2008 07:16 PM
New Contributor

*Bump*

Anyone have any ideas?

I just need to add the ability to read japanese emails along with the english that I already use. I dont need to do any japanese input. What do I need to do to make it work? Does anyone has know the answer? Should I return the blackberry 8120 and buy a differient device? Perhaps I would have better luck with something other than a blackberry? Anyone?

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apparently there is no real propper fix for japanese support. The solution I found was to essencially hack together japanese font support. I had to download a cjk package for a blackberry from indonesia. I then created a custom alx file (the alx files are just text files with references to cod file) that took the three COD files for japanese language fonts I then copied the alx file and the cod files into the propper respective locations (alx files go with the other alx files, cod files go in the java folder with the other cod files.)

They installed quite happily so now I have to get my boss to forward me some emails in japanese and I will post the results.

For me starting out NOT knowing anything about the system structure of the blackberry software it was kind of a pain in the butt to figure this all out from scratch.

<rant>It is so sad that RIM wont provide language packs for use with their products. I mean its a communications product having the ability to view another language other than english seems like a really simple feature. Whats worse is that in the support pages they say that all support is provided by the device supplier. In Canada that is an epic logic failure. Canadian cellular companies rate 2 worst on the planet for support.  </end rant>

I will post and update with what I did and how well it worked on monday. Hopefully my information will help other people with the same problem.

Message Edited by tommyatomic on 07-26-2008 01:53 PM
Highlighted
New Contributor

So my cobbled together japanese language install did the job. I got my boss to forward me a couple of messages in japanese and they came through correctly. So My language pack install worked.

Here is the ALX file contents for roll your own japanese font support.  Also I used these three font package files from the indonesian cjk blackberry software install.

net_rim_font_japanese.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_EUC_JP.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_x_Johab.cod

<loader version="1.0">
<!-- Language and input support -->
<application id="net.rim.blackberry.lang.ja.rendering">
<name>BlackBerry Japanese Characters and Font Support</name>
<description>Japanese Characters and Font Support for BlackBerry handhelds.</description>
<vendor>Research In Motion</vendor>
<copyright>Copyright 1998-2007 Research In Motion</copyright>
<fileset Java="1.0">
<directory>Java</directory>
<files>
net_rim_font_japanese.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_EUC_JP.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_x_Johab.cod
</files>
</fileset>
</application>
</loader>

Just so people understand my background. I am not a programmer on any level so this was not simple or easy for me to figure out because I know nothing about the blackberry OS.

I assumed that this would be a good place to find that extra level of support that neither rim nor telus provide. Obviously I was wrong about thinking that people here had any useful information to share. So I'll share what I learned to try to set an example. Perhaps if other people did the same thing this forum might turn into what I thought I was going to find when I came here for help.

New Contributor

Hi,

You seem so alone here! Thanks so much for sharing this information. I myself need to read Japanese emails and your tips help me a lot! I'm now going to try to do the same thing (and I'm not a programmer either). Wish me luck!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Look for metamessage if you want to be able to read AND write in Japanese or go to this link: http://www.onsettechnology.com/language_support_products.php

On the 8100, 8110 and 8120, the OS version 4.2.1.96 has Japanese fonts. I downloaded it from AT&T and it has the Japanese fonts. Filename is Asian8100C_PBr4.2.1_rel154_PL2.3.0.78_A4.2.1.96_AT&T.exe and it's 69MB.

I don't know about the 8130.

Message Edited by maifriend on 08-07-2008 08:09 PM

Does the at&t code include input or just rendering?  I've been struggling with this too.

Hey RIM!!!!  Make this easier!