Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Tour
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Join this post all who are upset about the new update.

Everyone who is upset with the new update ( missing Key Lock, missing contacts, etc. ) please say so here.  Maybe if we get enough people to join on ONE post they'll do something about it.  I shouldnt have to use a password to actually lock my device.  Most phones out on the market today have a simple way of locking the keys.  Plus the new software seems to run sluggish and slow. 

Just type that you agree, maybe they'll get the idea.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

Re: Join this post all who are upset about the new update.

I just posted a reply to someone else whose mute and standby key stopped functioning after the upgrade. Big bummer!! My battery is draining more quickly since I can't put the phone in standby. I hope that someone does something about this latest upgrade-- like issuing one without these problems, and SOON! tilly4 aka Liz
New Contributor
My Device: 9630 Tour
My Carrier: Verizon USA

I have same problem -- standby(mute) button no longer works; I am speaking to Blackberry as I type this and will post and "fix" they offer

dls

New Contributor
My Device: 9630 Tour
My Carrier: Verizon USA

After 1 hour talking to RIM, the best they can suggest is to wipe the device: backup first uninstall and then reinstall 5.0

Not a great solution!

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z10

I just upgraded yesterday, so I haven't investigated what broke (I'll be pissed if my mute key doesn't work).  Some of the upgrade is better (nicer GUI, apps seem faster), but a lot of stuff sucks.  RIM needs to fix the stuff that is broken.  It would have been nice if we had some idea what to expect.  Like a dope, I just mindlessly upgraded, thinking that there wouldn't be any major implications.  I'm sure many others did too.

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

tonymarch wrote:

(I'll be pissed if my mute key doesn't work). 

Your Mute key works,.... for muting. Not for Standby.

Use the LOCK key instead.  ... use the lock key at the top edge of the device.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

[ Edited ]

Additionally,  when you set a password on the device you can then have the lock icon on the device.  Pressing the K key will lock the device as well. 

Without setting the password, then the lock icon lock button on top (see the image below) will do a regular keypad lock, similar to the old removed standby feature. AND, you can press and hold A to lock the keypad.  K key will not work when a password is not set.

Pressing and holding the mute button for standby has been removed.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I put my calendar entries in Microsoft outlook and have 3 email addresses attached to my computer.  Since the new update my blackberry thinks I have 3 different calendars associated with these email addresses so I now have duplicate and triplicate entries in my calendar.  Is there a known fix?  I have tried to chose just 1 calendar but it continues to revert back to "all" calendars.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

If you are having problems with the OS upgrade and would like to complain about it, please direct your complaints to your carrier (in this case Verizon).  While RIM can create fixes for bugs, the only way anyone will see those fixes is if the carrier is willing to upgrade to the version with the fixes.  And they will only do so if they have a reason to do so.  Don't forget, Verizon is the one to issue the OS releases - they do not come directly from RIM.

Now then, some changes are not bugs and are changes in the functionality of the OS.  Things like the changing the mute button to a mute button rather than a standby button are changes in the functionality of the OS and are not bugs.

However, if you are noticing actual problems with the OS upgrade, please let your carrier know.

@dejobo, if you have all of your appointments on your computer in Microsoft Outlook, clear your calendar (delete all the entries or open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and under Backup/Restore, select the Advanced option, and on the right hand side, scroll through your BlackBerry's databases to the calendar database, highlight it and clear it using the selection below where your databases are shown).  Once you've cleared the calendar, sync the calendar back to your phone from Microsoft Outlook.  That should leave you with just the one set of calendars.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Thank you for the fix on my calendar issue - it worked!  By the way, I started with Verizon with my issue and they referred me to Blackberry when we couldn't get it resolved.