Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Keeps rebooting

I too am getting frequent reboots. When on Bluetooth and a call comes in, phone may reboot.  When I use the Maps application, phone may reboot. 

This is an out-of-the-box configuration.  I did not install any third-party apps (and even if I did, I would think the JVM would be sandboxed enough to prevent a third party app from crashing to OS).

I'm going to take the phone back to VZW store tomorrow and from reading these forums don't expect very much.   I have this thing just over a week, and advise anyone considering a Storm to wait and see if these problems get fixed.  I was considering a phone with Windows Mobile.  I'm seriously amazed at the lack of quality and the ability for anyone to write buggier code than Microsoft!

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530 VZW

I think I found it! After replacing the Storm two weeks ago, the problem is gone. However, while in the process of converting over to the new device, the RIM tech asked why I was replacing the old one. I explained about the random reboots. He asked if I had Google Maps installed and I did. He said Google Maps had known issues crashing Blackberries. A quick Google search seemed to confirm this. Needless to say, I left Google Maps off the new device. Note that I am running Facebook, Windows Live Messenger, VZ Navigator, and YouTube on device software v .75. Anyone else having reboot problems also have Google Maps installed?

Regular Contributor

I had google maps too. VZW had me do a hard reset (wound up losing emails because of misinformation about the restore, but that's another issue), when I was reintstalling apps, I left google maps off (most becuase I forgot) and haven't had a problem with frequent reboots.
New Contributor

My BB Storm reboots at least once every other day, for absolute no apparent reason. When mine goes to reboot, the screen flashes white then the phone shuts off and reboots...as all of you have already said...it is really starting to get annoying!!  I can understand with the release of new devices, you will encounter a few and certain "bugs" in the software, but this is the 1st and only phone that I have ever owned with sooooo many issues with it. This rebooting issue is only the beginning of the list of problems im having with my device.  I now have another device on the way to replace this one but im affraid until RIM comes out with another software upgrade, the issues will be in the new devices also....  gl everyone...  dont flush or destroy ur phone just yet...maybe they might be able to resolve these issues with the info we provide them..  :-)
Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm BB 9530T - Verizon

If on Verizon:

Dial *228 and enter option 1, following the instructions you will receive.  Then hangup and dial *228 again and enter option 2.

This programs the phone so that it better knows where the towers are in relationship to one another.  If it doesn't, it will pick the wrong tower, apply excessive power to reach it, possibly overheat and then shut down.

Follow the Option 2 procedure every thirty days, when you have a problem or when you have made a major shift in location on a trip.  If option 2 doesn't work, go back to option 1 and then 2.

This issue exists for all CDMA networks.  Sprint handles this reprogramming automatically and that actually has problems.  Verizon let's its customers do it when they need to and I prefer this system as it allows for a need when traveling.

New Contributor

My storm does exactly the same thing. While it was sitting on my desk and I am reading this forum it did a reboot on it's own. This has been going on since I bought it back in December.  I don't use Google Maps and have no 3rd party software installed. I am fed up with this phone.  My Palm 700P didn't have the issues this has.  Not happy at all with BB.
New Contributor

I am having the exact same problem with rebooting except that mine reboots several times throughout the day. It gets really annoying when I get messages and can't get them right away because I have to wait for it to reboot...has anyone had a good experience with taking it to a Verizon dealer (where I got mine)?

I went through 4 (FOUR) Storms before I told Verizon to keep the 5th they wanted to send me.  All phone had Re-Booting issues at several times a day.

I am on an Enterprise server which may be the problem because I have several friends hat have had no problems at all, could be that they dont use theirs as much so the are not noticing the re-boots.

Contributor

If this isn't fixed soon it may become a deal breaker for me. It interefered with my work yesterday and when that happened it officially crossed the line!

I love technology and understand problems that come with new technology, but my phone reboots several times a day. I sit it on my desk while I work and my eye catches the solid white screen as it restarts...

Other problems saved for other threads....

I hope this is solved soon.

I'm NOT running Bluetooth

I DO NOT have Google Maps

I HAVE reprogrammed my phone (*228)

Runing the latest publicely available operating system.

New Contributor

I got my Storm 9 days ago.  I was having rebooting problems since day 1.  Before even activating the navigator.  On day three, I went to Verizon and asked the techie guy some questions about general operating stuff.  I also asked about the reboot issue, not knowing it was a reboot issue.  He thought it might be going to sleep...duh.  He tried to look up the symptoms, but was not getting anywhere.  Since I was running out of lunch hour time, I skipped it at that time.  I'm going back this week to see if I can get a replacement. It seems to help some people, so I'll give it a try.  I didn't load google maps, so that's not it either.  I think I should have waited another 6 months so they could work out more of the problems...